Almost 9 Month Old with Severe Constipation

My soon to be 9 month old is severely constipated. This has been going on for about the past month. After no BMs for 5 days, I awoke to him screaming (in pain) this morning. He was pooping. He produced a moderate-large amount of very hard, ball like feces. (Sorry for all of the information). There also was blood....that I assume was caused by fissures.

He is breast-fed. I have made a point to give him higher fiber foods. He gets at least two jars of pears or prunes each day. Also I have omitted all bananas.

I have attempted to get pear juice and water into him. Unfortunately, he does not like the bottle (unless he is starving) and has not mastered the sippy cup yet.

Anybody have any suggestions?

P.S. He has an appointment at the pediatrician's on Wed....and constipation is at the top of our list.

Thanks for all of the replies! Thankfully the constipation cleared up after the painful poop on Monday morning.

The pediatrician said we were doing everything right....eliminating binding foods like bananas and adding higher fiber foods like pears and prunes. (I had called and spoken with her nurse a couple of weeks ago for these recommendations....so this was not new information). Given that we have been doing the food thing for a few weeks, she feels that lack of water is the real culprit. At her suggestion we have also added foods with a high water content to them....like watermelon.

I went directly from the doctor's office to Target to get some different types of sippys. (We have the Avent and the Born Free already). I purchased the Nuby straw sippy and a Munchkin sipper. Time will tell if my son will get the hang of these any time soon. Until he is more adept at using them, the plan is to give him sips straight from a regular glass or with a medicine dropper/syringe continually throughout the day.

My doctor also said that a half a dose of Miralax or a glycerin suppository are options if we find ourselves in this situtation again. In addition I am going to check in with a homeopathic doctor to see if there are any additional remedies to consider.

This doesn't address the constipation issue directly...But, since pear juice has worked well for us, one way you might consider getting it in him: straw cups. My 9-month old hasn't fully mastered the sippy cup either since she doesn't know to tip it (though she can manage ok if I hold it). However, my older daughter left her straw cup (they have those some-what disposable packages of plastic cups, lids, and straws at Target -- I can't remember the brand) laying around and my 9-mo old picked it up and quickly caught on to how to suck through the straw.

Wow! A lot of advice...2 things I did not see however that helped with my kids...no CARROTS. They made my kids soooo constipated! Also, when I noticed them trying to poo and cry and couldn't I put a little vaseline on a q-tip and massaged the anus in a circular motion with the baby laying on the changing pad with diaper underneath. This seemed to help them poo. Sorry for the graphics but a cousin told me this and it did help until the body got into a better routine without assistance.

When you can get him to take the sippy cup (I would go straight to that rather than a bottle), try Welch's white grape cherry juice. My son also had severe constipation despite my efforts with fruits and juices until we tried the white grape cherry juice. I just give him a little juice (2oz) and fill the rest of the cup with water. As long as he gets 2-4oz of this juice a day he poops just fine. If he goes a day or two without, we have troubles again. Good luck.

so my son has been constipated sinc birth and is now 27 months old. at that age i gave him prune juice and mixed it with a little grape juice or whatever other juice your son likes. i gave that to him 3 times a week. no more than that.

and it worked out perfectly. another thing that my sons dr rec. was buying pitted plums and figs and peeling the skins off and mashing up with a little bit of prune juice and making it into a baby food. and if your son likes that it might help. my son didnt.

once he gets older and has more teeth popcorn works wonders!!!

i mean WONDERS!!!!!!!!!!!

my son will be constipated and i'll make him some popcorn and within 30 mins hes pooping loosly.

hope it works out for you

A.

I had a very similar experience with my breastfed son at the same age. Neither high fiber foods or prune juice (which he wouldn't drink, either, so I mixed it in with his food) seemed to help much. For him (contrary to one of the other suggestions), the thing that apparently made the difference was introducing yogurt. Every morning for breakfast I make him a bowl of oatmeal with mashed papaya, maybe some other fruit, a few date pieces, and a large spoonful of Nancy's plain yogurt. I like the all natural, unsweetened yogurt. Using the fruit and dates sweetens it enough that he thinks its really good! Ever since I introduced the yogurt, he has been almost too regular . . . 3-5 soft poops a day!!! (He's now 14 months old.) I hope you find a solution for your situation!

I can totally relate to what you are going through. My son is almost 11 months old, and he has had problems with constipation ever since he was about 3 months old. We have been to the doctor quite a few times for this issue and to a GI specialist. There are many things you can do for constipation (which I am sure your doctor has told you). Two of the biggest things we have found are to make sure he stays really hydrated and to pay attention to what he eats. All the "P" fruits are really helpful to constipation - prunes, pears, peaches, plums, etc. I would try to stay away from bananas, applesauce and rice cereal as they are all quite binding. Our doctor had us use infant glycerin suppositories (which can be purchased at any drugstore) to alleviate the constipation when our son was especially bound up. They say that warm baths along with gentle pressure on the tummy are also supposed to help. In the end, we have had to put him on prescription Miralax to help regulate him until his digestive system is able to mature. Good luck!

My son dealt with this same thing. A couple of suggestions: Pay attention to your diet since your breastfeeding. Drink lots of water & you may want to cut back on iron rich foods &/or dairy. Also, Nuby makes a great sippy cup with a soft spout. My son couldn't get the hang of a sippy cup either but the Nuby was easy for him. I've seen them at Target and Fred Meyer. This could be a way to get water and diluted juice into him.

Try canned peaches. If he is still breastfeeding alot, you can also eat the peaches yourself and the benefits will get to him. That is what I did when my first one had problems like this.

Try a qualified chiropractor or massage therapist that specializes in babies.

My son was constipated around six months old and I was still breastfeeding and the ped recommended that I drink a lot of apple or prune juice too. It worked after a day or so.

1 / 3