Almost 6 Year Old Wants a Surprise Birthday Party

Well, it's that time of year again! My youngest will be turning 6 in August. This year she says she wants a Surprise party! :) Question is this...I haven't had a party at home since she turned 2. Up to then, I had 5 parties at home between my 2 daughters and then chickened out afterwards. It just got to be too much. But now, we are thinking (with the economy and all) of doing it at home. We were thinking of having people at our house 1/2 hr before hand, perhaps, then she would come home from wherever, and we would surprise her. I'm just not sure what to do at home for a 6 year old and all her little friends! I'm probably stessing more than necessary but after having a few years of other people doing the parties for me, I'm not sure I'm up to it! We live on some acreage, don't have a pool. Probably could set up some sprinklers, etc. But does anybody else have any other ideas on how to entertain these kids? Food, I think I can do, no problem...it's just keeping everyone from getting bored. We have a small house so it would be best if they could be outside most of the time. We have some shade. There, tried to give as much information as I could. Thank you for any ideas!

Well, things beyond our control made us change our plans. We ended up having our party at the Y. It turned out great. Thanks for all your responses! Oh, and yes, it was a surprise party, and my girl was surprised! It was awesome!

What about a slip & slide, or a scavenger hunt? You can have a themed scavenger hunt,(like princess or sponge bob or beach theme) and what they find goes straight into the goodie bag! For inexpensive at home b-day ideas, google "Birthday Party Ideas". I've gotten a lot of great ideas from sites like that over the past few years.
Or, if you can afford it, a bouncy house is always welcome!
Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

Found this idea online a while back, thought it sounded like so much fun: http://www.parents.com/fun/birthdays/themes/backyard-carn...
Because you say you've got a good-sized yard and want to keep the party outside, something like this might work. Good luck!

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

Not sure what your daugther is into, but you could have a tye-dye party with a few of her friends and then the itens they tye-dye will serve also as party favors. T-shirts, shorts, tote bags, socks hats just about anything could be tye-dye. Then they could all wear them one day when they are back in school and recall the party. Food make it simple, hot dogs or burgers on the grill. We as parents sometime stress ourselves out trying to over due things when in the end kids will have fun just being around their friends.

Good luck and I hope you guys have fun!

If you are not sure what to do call Butterfly Dreams Theme Parties and she will give you a lot of ideas and she can also do what you want. Look at there website at
www.ButterflyDreamsParty.com and it will show you a lot of ideas with different packages to go with your budget or you can call her at ###-###-#### for any questions. She comes to your location and does everything. You can also look at on mamasource with very good reviews.
Good luck and have a fun party..

You really can't go wrong with a bouncy castle or other large inflatable. This is the perfect time of year for the giant waterslide inflatable. Another great one for kids is pony rides/petting zoo - especially since you have a large outdoor space.

If you have the space, you would be able to put some sort of inflatable. An inflatable water slide is a great way to keep the kids busy!!! A mom owned business on Mamasourse is www.bouncybiz.com. They have a GREAT Ocean Wave Slide that my kids love!!! Honestly, I love it too!!!! Ask for your mamasource discount - I think it is 10% off.

I would surprise her with just a handful of friends...
'they' say a child's party should be the same number as their age, so that would mean 6 friends.
if you cannot limit it, then just do family...
with a small group you can do a craft activity (go to michaels for ideas) or even a baking activity like baking cupcakes or even just decorating the cupcakes- or even just decorating COOKIES for fun you don't even have to make them from scratch just buy a roll to slice from. the fun is in the decorating. or make your own sundaes.
they could have a tea party.
watch a movie and eat pizza. decorate their own pizza (buy the dough from a local pizza place).
sounds like fun!
you're a great mother!

Good morning K.. I just had my twin daughter's 6th birthday party at our house. I did a spa party and EVERYTHING was outside in our backyard. It really was the BEST party we ever had!! It did not cost a lot either. I had small tables set up as different stations (hair,nails,tatoos,arts and crafts). We had our teenaged neighbors come over to help be assistants. Feel free to give me a call at ###-###-#### and I can tell you more about it and send you some pictures. We rented a sno-cone machine (which was a huge success) and at the end all the girls got to make their own ice cream sundays with all the toppings. I also do parties/decorations as a small business, so I can help you if you need. Either email me back or feel free to call. ____@____.com

Well, it's no surprise; but it is exciting that she can be a part of the planning...Dad takes her out for lunch, and then she comes home and everyone is there and they yell "surprise"
How simple is this? Have people come to the house. many will ask if they can bring something, and answer "yes":
appetizers, goodie bags, side dishes. Make it simple and FUN! That's what your angel is asking for.
Blessings, S.

1 / 3