Almost 4 Year Old with Chronic Stuffy Nose

I am back again! My lo has a stuffy nose it seems all the time. She has food and environmental allergies, tested positive to 4 trees but nothing else. Right now i understand she is reacting to tree pollen but i wonder why she is congested all the other times. I have her bed elevated, use a humidifier, give her local honey, decaff green tea, good nutition ( when she eats it), vicks, saline spray, keep her room dusted and vacummed.....what else can i do? She is now on her 5th month of antibiotics from ear infections, although 1 month she had a cold and then got the ear infection and 1 month she had strep, no ear infection. I guess i am just venting here and feeling helpless to stop the allergies and ear infections. Is there anything i havet mentioned that has worked to relieve your little ones congestion? Oh and we see a chiropractor every week!!

I would try cutting out dairy. There's more and more research showing that kids will environmental allergies are also frequently sensitive to dairy. Perhaps not allergic, but react enough to swell mucus membranes and cause stuffiness. And all that can lead to ear infections and increased sickness.

I urge you to get her to an ENT who will do a nasal endoscopy and see what her structure looks like. If they still don't know from looking, an MRI will shed better light on it. My child had a concha bullosa and thickened cilia skin. Knowledge is power. Without knowing what is wrong, you don't know what your options are.

Claritin. It's a miricle worker. I get allergies every year. So does my son. He used to get ear infections every Spring until I realized that he had allergies and started treating them.

Sounds like her adnoids need to come out! I have twins and both girls had chronic runny noses for the forst 2 years of their lives. I was embarressed because people would comment about it. Bacteria lives in large adnoids and "festers" in there which causes thick, digusting snot. Sounds so gross- but as soon as those adnoids were out- problem solved. Both twins also had ear tubes put in when they removed the adnoids and that helped with ear infections greatly. One of the girls eventually needed her tonsils out as well, but a few years later. Adnoid removal works wonders. Not to put a child through removal (surgery) but think of how miserable she is dealing with all of this sickness. Good luck and schedule asap with an ENT.

Go dairy free ! Factory farmed cows do not graze on grass anymore. Sadly, cows are administered so many drugs and no grass ! A website that will explain it well: Notmilk.com

Also, almost 90% of the soy in our country is genetically modified. Allergies and asthma have skyrocketed since the mid-90's. That's when soy was "changed" by the Monsanto Corp. There are several people in Connecticut working endlessly to get genetically modified/engineered foods labeled. Soy is in baby formula and sooo many processed foods in the grocery store. See OCA.com for more information.

I dry swiffer my floors every other day. I switched to green cleaners and scent/fragrance free laundry detergent. We bought an organic matress, too. It has helped.

Maybe it's time to seek out an ENT to rule out anything serious that the ped cannot help out with.

The two things that helped my son were, 1) getting him off all dairy (incl. baked goods with milk or butter), since a dairy sensitivity causes chronic congestion and ear infections, and 2) making him smoothies with local honey. Honey from nearby bees will acclimate your daughter to the pollen in your area. I know it sounds suspect, but it really worked for my son.

And I know the dairy thing sounds hard to do, but honestly, it's gotten my son onto a really healthy diet, since cutting out dairy means cutting out most highly processed foods. You might just try it for a week and see if it helps.

It's will be more to do with your child's make up your child will probably need to have their adenoids or tonsils removed also there tubes in their nose canal may need cleaned and chiseled this will cure your little ones symptons

Have her adenoids (and tonsils) been checked out?
Swollen adenoids can cause a lot of mouth breathing - they can't get air through the nose.
When my son's tonsils swelled to the point where they were almost touching across the back of his throat (they were not infected - no fever), they became an obstruction which was interfering with his breathing and swallowing.
The ENT we went to tried shrinking them with steroids, but as soon as we finished they swelled right back up again.
We had his tonsils and adenoids out soon as he turned 4 and he could BREATHE!
And swallow and sleep without snoring up a storm.
It was the best thing we ever did.

1 / 3