Almost 4 Year Old, Very Chapped Lips

My almost 4 year old has very chapped lips. I put lip balm on it and my husband puts some kind of mentholatum (sorry about the spelling) on it at night. But it seems like it's not getting any better! I gave her daycare lady some for her to use at daycare, but even on the weekends when I have her it doesnt seem to be getting better. Is there anything else I can use? I know she's picking at it, because it started bleeding tonight.

Thanks, mommies!

She licks alot, is it ok to put Neosporin on if she might lick it? It's really just her lips, but they're pretty chapped. I'll look tomorrow for the aquaphor, I only have to have her in daycare until 12 tomorrow. so I'll keep on it the rest of the day.

I just snuck in and put some vaseline on her lips. I hope it helps.

I'm not sure how she could be dehydrated, because she always has a cup of water during the day until after dinner when we cut her off so she wont wet the bed. I bought some aquaphor and neosporin lip therapy, and so far the neosporin lip therapy has been making it feel better for her, at least. We're working on not licking it, but that might be like trying to nail jello to a tree. hee.

Thanks, mommies! I appreciate all the advice!

Final update 1/8/10:

The Neosporin Lip Therapy already has it all healed up, in one day! They were so cracked they were bleeding, and now they just look slightly chapped. Thank you so much!

More water in her, a cool mist humidifer in her room and try to teach her not to lick her lips. That is very drying....so she needs to stop that.
It's hard after it becomes a habit.

Neosporin makes an overnight lip treatment. My daugther gets very chapped lips in the winter. They get so bad they bleed. I started using this every night and they started to get better within a few days.

She's IS dehydrated. Lip balm can help it from getting worse or bleeding but it will not heal until she is rehydrated. More water, even electrolytes (pedialyte, or coconut water if you do things naturally as I do) will get rid of the chapping. Not juice or tea or anything else but water and electrolytes until it's healed. It will probably heal overnight....

God bless,

It's hard after it becomes a habit.

My son has the same problem and I use Aquafor (it's like Vaseline).

Mentholated products are probably good to avoid – they can cause congestion (yes, that means Vicks, too), and if the skin is sensitive to any of the ingredients, they can actually cause greater chapping and peeling. I've learned this from first-hand experience, by the way. Mint, which is very commonly used in lip balms, can also work against healing if it is irritating on the lips and the user licks it off.

A wonderful product that protects beautifully without added harmful ingredients is Lansinoh, the same super-purified lanolin that nursing mothers can safely use on their nipples during breastfeeding. There are also very good lip balms available at natural food stores; I get good results from Badger brand unscented and a few others.

Try to get her to drink lots of water, too. Hydration can make a positive difference, particularly during very cold weather, when we lose lots of moisture through our skin to low air humidity.

I agree with using Aquaphor! I use it morning and night and it is wonderful. The best lip balm ever. You can get it in the diaper balm aisle at Target, the drugstore, etc. A tube of it will be enough to last several years, and costs around $6.

she may be dehydrated...make sure to get her drinking a lot of water. Constipation and dehydration are VERY common this time of year because kids are not sweating and/or realizng they need to drink more water.

Mary Kay has a "Satin Lip" program where you exfoliate your lips to get the "crusties" off, and some balms for day and night. It works great, and your daughter will feel so grownup if she and mommy can make this a regular night routine. It makes your lips feel amazing.

She may be allergic to the lip balm you are using...I am allergic to ChapStick and anything with sunscreen in it--my lips peel and hurt when I use these products, and the more I use them, the worse it gets. If this is the case, she may be able to switch to a different brand, or it may get better on its own once you stop using whatever she is allergic to. I do well with Neosporin LT (Lip Therapy). Also, I agree with her drinking LOTS of water and keeping her room more humid.

1 / 3