Almost 3 Year Old Afraid to Poop.

I have having a problem with my son's BMs. He has always been a bit constipated and has very hard poop. It started to get worse and he would go days without going. I have started to use benefiber and adding fiber more in his diet. It has helped to soften the poop but he still is afraid to go. He will get on all fours and start to go, but as soon as a little comes out, he will stop. So about 8 times a day he has just a very small amount of poop, most of the time it is still stuck between his cheeks. We have been having a hard time with potty training and I wonder if this is going to make it worse. When he goes that little bit, I sit him on the toilet and he lets the little bit drop in and gets excited, but he will not push any out on the toilet. He acts like he is pushing, but nothing comes out. Has anyone had these type of problems. Should I try to make the poop even softer? I am so sick of poop!

Hi C.! I too went through problems with my son. We had to put him on senacot, however I would first try giving him some prune juice, maybe about 2-4 oz. a day. See how that goes & adjust the amount accordingly. Keep in mind that he probably has a lot of pain when he tries to have a b.m. so first you need to give him something that will soften it up & once he gets used to the idea that it no longer is painful to have a b.m. then he will be able to relax & go like he should.This will take some time, so be patient & hang in there! Things will work out!

try prune juice and lots of liquids but not ones with artificial sweetners like high fructose corn syrup. 100% juices and water.

My 2 1/2 year old son has the same exact problem!! It's been going on (off and on) for almost a year. We were going through 10 diapers a day!

We saw his doctor last week and determined that he was NOT constipated but had probably been traumatized from a past bout with constipation and that's why he would refuse to have a complete bowel movement.

He's been on Miralax since Thursday and it's finally starting to work. The doctor gave us a prescription and it comes in powder form that I add to his juice in the morning. I like that I can control how much I give him.

He actually went 4 times today but they've been REAL bowel movements. The doctor's plan was to keep him on the Miralax for one month and hopefully my son will learn that it's not scary to go poop. Seems like it's working so far.

I feel your pain! y daughter had the same problem. We used to give her miralax. call your pharmacist to ask about the dosage. We would also let her sit in a nice warm bath and play. The two of those worked like a charm. Sometimes she would poop within minutes of being in the tub. Good luck!

One word: Miralax. Talk to your pediatrician, but it has done wonders for my daughter. We had the same issues and pooping was such a nightmare... Now, it is much MUCH better. HTH.

Give him lots of apple juice and yogurt. It will soften his stool.

Corrine, It is called TRS, Toddler Retension Syndrome, YES, make it softer and easier, try prune jc or blueberry jc, blueberry jc is more expensive but worth it if he doesn't like prune. You can also rim his bum hole with some vaseline, it will hurt him less. Try the juice in the evening and morning, or prunes and dates dried, they are almost as effective, taste good too fresh blueberries are good too. No child should have this trouble I am sorry for his pain. My son had this, we started him on a 1/2 teaspoon of mineral oil, not as good! I hope these work for him, they did for us! K.
Mom of 5 grown, childcare provider for 30 years, it worked for many of the children who went through this in my care also.

I went thru this same thing with my daughter until she was 3 1/2. We had to use the Miralax also. Also, she had gotten to be that much older she did understand what was going on and she found out that when she would hold it in for a week anyways, I would use a suppository on her. She didn't like that very much. Afer doing that a couple times, she learned it was ok to poop on her own and she didn't need or want the suppository.
Then, 6 months later we were potty training my son. Who would have thought I would have 2 kids that would do the same thing! So I am still working on it with him. He just turned 3 and we are still doing the Mirilax on him also. The doctor told us to give him enough fiber and Miralax to make it so loose that he can't hold it in. Well, I do that, and he still thinks it is going to hurt the next time. Don't get me wrong, it has gotten easier...I can tell when he is trying to poop and I sit him on the potty and he goes usually. But sometimes it is an all day affair of trying multiple times or it takes DAYS.
But, everyone told me with my daughter it would just 'click' one day. I never believed them. But that is really how it happened. So, I am waiting for that 'click' with my son now. It can't come soon enough!!!

Is he a big milk drinker? (Milk products, grilled cheese, pizza, mac and cheese, yogurt, ice cream etc etc etc) Milk is very constipating. How 'bout bread (gluten: wheat, barley, rye, malt flavoring, most oats). Gluten is constipating, too.

What does he eat?

1 / 3