Almost 3 Month Old Son Only Nursing for 3-6 Minutes at a Time???

Our second little man has been only nursing for short periods lately and I am not quite sure why. He will act hungry and start to nurse great but after 3-6 minutes, he pulls off and does not want to eat anymore (sometimes he is happy and other times he isn't). He is normally very happy all day and smiles and talks a lot. He does spit up but not more than a normal baby does. I did take him to the doctor and she said maybe reflux and prescribed him some medicine for it ... but I am not convinced it is reflux. I asked her if we could wait a little before medicine to see if he gets better (because I really don't want to give him medicine ... especially if he doesn't need it) and she said that was fine. He did get better but now he seems to be back to his short nursings. He is gaining weight just fine, is developing great, and has enough wet and dirty diapers throughout the day. He also nurses for much longer periods when he nurses at nighttime ... he sleeps great and wakes every 4 hours or so to eat. I just do not understand why he is eating for such short amounts during the day. Anyone been through this? Tips or suggestions?

ADDED: He normally eats every 2-3 hours during the day which is okay with me. He nurses on demand so I am not putting him on a schedule right now. I didn't with our first son and it worked best for us so we will be doing that again this time.

I have a 7 week old that does just this, and is very happy and growing great also. I think she just gets enough in that time, as I have quite a bit of milk and a fast let down. She weighs almost 15 pounds at 7 weeks, so I think the 5 minute feedings are just fine! I would say if he's happy and growing you are doing awesome.

My DD was always a speed eater. Some people's kids nursed for 30 minutes. Fifteen was a long time for us, and 5- 10 was quite normal. I had overactive letdown so I would only nurse her one side a session. It helped her not to gag and it helped rein in my overproduction. I think he's 1) gotten the hang of it now and 2) more interested in the world. If it works, I say just let it be. I also nursed on demand. DD was fine.

Maybe he is a power nurser, already.

Both my kids, were champs at nursing right from birth.

And yes, always, always keep nursing on demand.
Never on a schedule. Because scheduled feedings do not go by a baby's cues, nor their growth-spurts.
On-demand nursing, will make intake keep up WITH baby... and thus increase your milk supply, to mirror baby's needs.
Never nurse according to a schedule.

But, when your son detaches... burp him. Then try and put him back at breast. He may continue.
Sometimes you just have to re-latch them.
Or they get distracted.

Sounds like you have a snacker! Some babies like to nurse for upwards of 45 minutes, other are efficient eaters and get what they need in under 10.

As long as he's healthy and growing and both of you are happy and ok with it, then I say don't fix what ain't broke! haha

Good for you for nursing on-demand according to your baby's cues. It sounds like you're doing a great job - keep it up :o)

My 9 mo daughter has always been a quick nurser-when she was a newborn it really freaked me out. I actually almost quit nursing, because I was convinced she wasn't getting enough (she was also a preemie, so I was worried about her weight). On average she nurses for about 5 minutes. At 9 mo she is the size of a 12 mo, so she is growing like crazy! I guess some babies must just be efficient. If he is growing and having wet diapers, I wouldn't worry. He will tell you what he needs!

My first drank for 6-10 minutes easy ever 3-4 hours and was topped out at the 85% for weight up until she was 1 years old. My second is 7 months and since birth only drinks 4-5 minutes. When she was a newborn she did that every 3 - 5 hours and now at 7 months she can go up to 6 hours without eating. She's in the 60% for weight and the doctor says she's healthy so I'm not worried about it. She goes to daycare and drinks anywhere from 8 - 12 ounces in an 8 hour time frame. I'm assuming maybe she's just really efficient at drinking and she doesn't need "mommy milk" for comfort like my first did =)

How long is he going in between nursing during the daytime? At that age, he should be nursing every 4 hours or so. If you are feeding him more often than that, then he's probably "snacking" rather than getting big, full meals. I'd try to keep him on a 4-hour eat-play-sleep routine, and see if that doesn't help.

If you're already on a 4 hour schedule, then maybe he's full after only a few minutes. Some babies are power-nursers and can get all they need very quickly! My older daughter was that way. She didn't ever really enjoy nursing, she saw it as a means to an end, and would latch on like a little vacuum - and then 4 minutes later, she was done! It was the weirdest thing.

Both of mine did that too - I think at that age they're starting to become more aware of the world around them so their attention goes elsewhere. As long as he's happy keep it up - the nursing on demand can be tiring, but it's worth it.

1 / 3