Almost 2 Year Old with Intermittant Diarrhea Causing LARGE Blisters

I apologize in advance for the long post, but I'm really hoping to draw on the mamasource wisdom. My 23 month old girl has being experiencing diarrhea about four times a month for several months now. She has always had frequent, soft stools, but nothing that caused any problems. Recently, she will wake up screaming after having diarrhea with large blisters (some as big as 1/2 inch high and several inches across) all over her bottom. When this happens she is in a ton of pain, can't sit down and can barely walk.

So far, we've seen her family doctor several times, another family physician in the practice once, a pediatric gastroenterologist several times and a dermatologist several times. They've tested her for several bacterial infections and a zinc deficiency. All were normal. We've tried lidocaine to numb her bottom, steriod cream, Butt Paste, Triple Paste, a prescription wound cream and Sulfadine. Her bottom heals well each time, but it never has a chance to completely heal before the next bout hits. We've also cut out dairy and fructose (separately) with no change. We can't trace it to any change in her diet and she has no known allergies.

Right now we're using vaseline and an antifungal prescribed by the dermatologist, even though he said he doesn't think that there's any yeast infection! I started her back on Culturelle (a probiotic) yesterday, because that has helped with other types of diarrhea in the past. We're also waiting for the next bout to get a stool sample to check the pH, but the diarrhea happens only once, then it's non-blistering stools for about a week afterward.

So, has anyone even heard of anything like this? I've read the information on "Toddler's Diarrhea", but nothing that causes such huge blisters. At this point my poor little girl is starting to have nightmares about pooping! At this point I'm willing to do almost anything to stop this. Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

have you had her tested for celiac disease? That is the major symptom.

It really sounds like allergies of some sort.

As far as the diaper rash - coat her butt with liquid mylanta after each diaper change. First do whatever diaper rash cream you like, then cover the area with mylanta. The mylanta makes the acids neutralized so they don't cause the blisters.

Both my kids had "allergies" to milk protein. This caused loose stools and very red irritated bums. Be careful though, traditional allergy testing only shows a positive if you have a 100% intolerance to a food. If you have a 70% intolerance you will test negative. In the absence of hives and other allergic reactions I would guess the test would be negative.

Take a look at eliminating the 8 common allergens for several weeks then slowly add them back a week at a time to find the culprit. I have to believe this is related to diet. There's no other explanation.

Have you tried Benadryl immediately after getting the blisters?

And yes, I know it's hard but no wipes ever on her poor sensitive skin. Warm water and kleenex or washcloths.

Hi J.-
I am not sure how to help with the blister but when my daughter gets diarrhea bad.I use Lactinex it is a dietary supplement you might have already used but if not it is worth a try.It is granules that you can put in milk or we usually use pudding. My mother-in- law told me about it and I asked our ped. and he said we could use and it worked when she had diarrhea bad .
Well good Luck I hope I helped
mama H.

One of my tots has acid reflux that caused him to develop severe diaper rash( the type that bleeds) the day after he has eaten acidic food (tomato,oranges, etc) He takes Zantac (a RX) and it helps a great deal. This might help but Based on her age, perhaps it is time to toilet train her. this won't be the answer to stop whatever is going on with her bowel movement, but would keep most of it off her skin and offer some relief. (In the meantime, I'd keep searching for the cause) yes, its time. anywhere from 18 months to age 3 is a normal potty training window. Her condition will encourage her to want to use the toilet. Best wishes to you both....its hard to imagine the amount of pain she must be suffering.

Look into Florastor for Kids. http://www.florastor.com/
Florastor is the most widely used probiotic in Europe and available locally at Osco. It's generally behind the pharmacy counter and you have to ask for it or order it. About two weeks after starting use, the digestive track should show marked improvement, and hopefully eliminate the cycle. As the good bugs (flora) multiply in the gut, the loose stools should subside.

I have successfully used this product and wholeheartedly recommend it. Best of luck with your beautiful daughter.

I would take her to an Allergist & have her tested for food, yeast & mold allergies. I would also keep her from drinking fruit juices (they are very acidic). Make sure she is drinking lots of water.

I'm sorry your little one is going through this! My son had the same problem when he was 2. It lasted about 6 months and we saw every specialist possible. He tested negative for everything and nothing seemed to help. Finally, someone told me about Florastor. It helps restore the bacteria balance in the system. It comes in a powered, fruity-flavored, form for kids. It's the only thing that seemed to help. Also, we stopped using almost all cleaning chemicals in our home. We use only natural cleaners now.
Those two things really seemed to help. It may be a fluke that his problems cleared up when we added Florastor and stopped using chemicals. But I think the whole family is healthier now anyway.
Good luck! And congrats on #2!

Has any doctor tested her for food allergies? I would do the blood draw and test for IgG mediated food sensitivities (IgG is tested in the lab by an ELISA, not a back-scratch test on the kiddo which only looks at IgE mediated allergies). I would definitely take her off of dairy for a month and see if the stools improve. May also want to do a trial of eliminating gluten (wheat) and other commen food triggers that you notice your daughter consuming. A good probiotic (lactobacillus and other bifidobacter and other species) should be given once a day. Good luck!
P.S. It is not normal to have diarrhea 4 times a month. Don't buy into the bull of normal "toddler" diarrhea unless you are giving her 16 oz or more of store-bought juice a day. There is something imbalanced or deficient in here sytem that, once corrected, should enable this problem to slowly improve. May want to seek help from nutritionist or physician who recognizes both pharmeceutical AND non-pharmeceutical methods to maintain or restore health.

Ouch....the poor baby!

Remove all dairy from her diet (i.e. butter, cheese, milk, yogurt, goldfish crackers, etc.). Try this for a minimum of three weeks (it takes two weeks to be completely eliminated.

For a doctor, contact Dr. Josephine Polich (a Homeopathic Doctor). Her number is ###-###-#### and website is www.dupagehomeopathic.com.

Like another user said, throw out all wipes, etc. Use warm washcloths.

1 / 3