Allowance Questions

hi there! looking for some ideas on how other parents handle allowance for their kids. we have decided that this is the route we want to go, and have some general ideas in place, but i'm looking for a bit more structure, mainly:

1. How much do you give and how often? Do you give an amount per chore (ie, $2 for emptying the dishwasher, $.50 for folding the towels) or is it a set amount each "pay"?

2. If a chore is missed, how do you handle it? Do you deduct a certain amount, withhold the full allowance, some other type of discipline?

3. How do you track the chores being done? Do you use a large poster-type thing, or is more of a mental listing?

4. What type of chores do you givet eh allowance for? Are they for any and all chores, such as bed making, picking up toys, or is it only for things above and beyond "normal" expectations, things like laundry, dishwasher, setting table, things like that?

again, we have a general idea of what we want to do, but i wanted some perspective on what others do. age of your children doesn't matter, what we have in mind is totally age appropriate.

thanks!

I like a comment I heard that allowance wasn't as much about earning the money but rather about learning to budget.

So allowances are given regardless of chores however chores are expected to be done. They're just not tied together.

The allowance is a time to learn what happens from mistaken choices as much as making good choices. Also, we pay like work pays - 2x month and teach to take some out for short-term savings, long-term savings and charity.

Read the book, Making Allowances: A Dollars and Sense Guide to Teaching Kids About Money by Paul Lermitte. I found it at my library. Great advice, easy to read and implement.

www.makingallowances.com

www.makingallowances.com

Well when I first got my allowance back way back,my parents included things like bed making,dishes being wash and they mean assigning chores for 4 kids.Our beds always had to be made on our own and I got a job on dishes washing,vacumming(second oldest is like a second sargent)empty laundry in to a hamper while my older sis(1st sargent) patrol on laundry and both younger brothers are garbage and lawn mowing.Also we all take turns in walking our dogs in pair.Today me and sis,tomorrow the younger brothers.My sis chores also include homework patroling.We always have to look after ourself and Dad put up a big black board with all the chores and the name that goes with certain one.It all consist of regular general chores and some are our parents things like bill pay so we know where it goes and how much money are spend on things and how hard the money is being earned by our folks.If it all not met for a good reason like study for test and making project for science class.They won't punish us by keeping the allowance but if it was for no other reason.NOne of us gets it.It forced us to help each other complete our chores.I think it was for 20 bucks a week.So hope this help.But then again my father was in an army so it was different than your case but I think you can use some of these ideas.

We use a token system rather than actual money.
The kids earn tokens or points for chores and good behavior and loose points for bad behavior.
ie
5pts for unloading the dishwasher, 5 pts for loading the dishwasher.
5pts for making bed, 5 pts for picking up toys, 2 pts for brushing teeth,
5pts for doing homework.
3pts for no fighting between breakfast- lunch, lunch - dinner , dinner- bed time.
we use poker chips as tokens they got strait into a jar as soon as they do the chore. they can spend the tokens on things like computer time or going to the movies , or they can save up and trade in their points for allowance $ , 1$ for every 100 points.

We plan on giving allowance based on chores that aren't expected from them and that will change with age. We expect bed making, picking up toys, and basic house maintainence and will not get allowance. However, when they are little and they want to help dust, than that's extra and they get allowance, same goes for mowing the lawn. But when they are older, they will become expected chores and allowance will be based on other criteria. I don't know what we plan for allowance as far as money goes. But I liked that my sister made her kids put half of their allowance in the bank, 10% to taxes and got to keep the rest. The tax money was then collected and used for a family activity. She has 4 kids from 22-16 and they all have a great concept of money and don't have a sense of entitlement for things that many kids have these days. We'll see what works in my house.

My son is only 3, so we haven't really had to deal with this yet, but when the time comes we will give him a weekly allowance that is not tied to chores. I believe that as a member of our family our son will be responsible for certain household chores. We will not pay him for doing these. However, I think that learning to manage money is an important lesson for kids, so he will get a certain amount so that he can learn for himself. If he wants to earn extra money he can do extra chores, for which he could be paid.

We just recently started giving my girls an allowance. It is a set amount which they receive on payday (when Dad gets paid they get paid). They are expected to do chores in return.

I bought a board but I do not use it at this point because right now it is whatever chore I need done at the time and it is basically the same chores daily. We started their allowance out low and will increase it as their responsibilities increase. Right now we are getting things underway. I don't keep track because they fulfill their chores when asked and that is sufficient.

When they are paid we have a set amount that they must save, spend, and share (give to charity).

I recently decided to give an incentive/bonus for perfect tests. I did this as a way to encourage my oldest child to go back and check her work and catch her mistakes before she turns in the test. In order to balance things out with my preschooler she is rewarded when she gets 'smileys' on her behavior sheet sent home from preschool.

My kids each get a monthly allowance that is not tied to chores. BUT, they do have chores that they are expected to do just to be a responsible members of the household. They have to clean up after themselves, take turns feeding the dog and cleaning up dog poop in the yard. Sometimes they help with other cleaning projects like bathrooms or windows. They have responsibility to keep track of their own things, I do not search for or replace lost items. My older daughter also has to clean her rat cage once a week, put away her laundry, and gather all her dirty laundry for the one day a week I do laundry. This is the first year my younger daughter is actually dressing for school without complete and total meltdowns regarding the fit, comfort, and type of clothes available, so I'm cutting her a little more slack in helping to get her dirty/clean clothes in the right place. One step at a time.

1 / 3