Alligator Skin?

My daughter had her 2 year well check yesterday with her pediatrician. She has a couple of rough patches of skin on the back of her legs and arms. When I asked the pedi about it, he called it alligator skin and to just put moisturizer or Cortaid cream on it. He didn't say anything about eczema or psoriasis, but he did say that it's most likely inherited. Neither my husband or I can think of anyone in our families that have this. Has anyone dealt with this before? If so, was there any cream or lotions that worked best. We've been using Johnson's Bedtime Lotion, but that doesn't seem to make a difference even if I coat her in it multiple times a day. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mamas!

Thanks Mama's for all of the excellent advice! We tried the Aveeno baby wash and I've slathered her in Aquaphor for the last few days...it's much better now! Hopefully at this rate, within a couple of days it will be gone. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help us out with this one. Thanks!

My son has this too! it drives me crazy, but doesn't seem to bother him much. He is 2 1/2. The best cream ever is the Calendula Cream from California Baby. It is sometimes hard to find. I get mine online at www.dermstore.com
Anything from California Baby is great!! Their products are awesome...go to the dermstore website and read their reviews on the different creams. But, I like the Calendula cream.

I'd look into food allergies. IgE (food allergies)and IgG (food sensitivities) testing may show what is causing the inflammation. Most docs are going to give you a cream but don't address what is causing the problem.

My daughter get the patches you are talking about (she's 5) we use Gold Bond Healing Lotion and within 2 days, its gone! I love that stuff! It's kinda pricey compared to other lotions but it's definatly worth it. Good luck!

Don't know about Alligator skin but for my DD, I use Eucerin or Aquaphor (very heavu duty). Also, a mix of eucerin with petroleum jelly worked well... right after a bath and fully cloth them

I've never heard it called as alligator skin either. My daughter gets eczema patches that pop up on her legs from time to time. We treat it with lots of Aquaphor (love this stuff!), hydricortizone, and Arbonne baby lotion and Arbonne baby oil. The Arbonne products work wonders on her skin!

And yes, her pediatrician also mentioned that eczema can be inherited. I scratched my head too. As far as we know, my husband nor anyone in his family has ever had problems with this. My daughter was also conceived with donor eggs, so maybe her biological mother has this in her line, who knows. I hear with most kids it goes away between ages 2 and 3 but some have life long issues with it.

-Char

My daughter had the same thing...she went to a ped. dermatologist and was diagnosed with eczema. He gave me a cream which works GREAT! I also suggest using items made for sensitve skin...things with out perfumes or dyes in it.

Hi C.!

My son has terrible dry patches!!! We switched to the baby aveeno products for bathing and lotion. Baby aveeno also makes a creamy bodywash that we use if we notice his skin starting to get dry. We also apply baby aquaphor directly to the dry patches 2-3 times a day.
He had horrible patches all the time, but after we swiched to the aveeno products-he rarely has them. If he does start to get a patch, we switch to the creamy wash and use the aquaphor.
Hope this helps!

How strange for your pedi to call it alligator skin. That's the nickname for an inherited skin disorder called ichthyosis, which is a much bigger deal than dry patches on the back of the legs. Also, you would have noticed it long before her second birthday. What you're describing sounds like classic eczema. Lots of people find that aquaphor works. If it's bad and itchy, the cortizone cream, plus general antihistamine (like Banadryl or Zyrtec) might help.
You might change pediatricians.

1 / 3