Allergy to Vinegar???

Hi Moms,

Was wondering if anybody else has an allergy to vinegar. I think I have an allergy to it but am not sure if there is some other allergy that might link common foods such as mustard, ketchup, salad dressing, some tomato sauces, BBQ sauce, some fruit desserts....The list goes on but you get the idea.

I break out in a sweat if I even smell vinegar. I turn bright red and break out in a sweat if I eat anything with vinegar in it. For some this may just be a pesky allergy but, I also have hyperhidrosis and my body is not able to "sweat" normally. Even after strenuous exercise I do not sweat. Therefore, I know when my brow breaks out in a real sweat after eating/smelling vinegar something is up.

Does anybody else have an allergy to vinegar? Is it really an allergy to vinegar itself or maybe some other common component? What do you do for it? Are you really able to avoid some of the most common foods/condiments?

Sulfites are also common in vinegar, I think. If you also have problems with wine, that is a possibility.

hi
While I don't necessarily have an allergy to it, it can however cause problems for me depending upon my health at the time. Example... Vinegars and other fermented foods such as those you mention make things like a yeast infection WORSE... the yeast thrive in that environment. Therefore, IF and when I have a problem as such, I have to stay away from vinegar and other fermented foods/sauces. Additionally, things like sugar and white flour also make matters worse. If you read more on Candida Albicans, you may find that your allergies are directly related to this. In which case, a cleanse of some sort may be of help to you.
Things like fruit desserts (especially if NOT fresh) can also cause problems in that the sugar content in prepared fruit is VERY strong... take a banana for example.. ever notice that the riper it gets, the more sweeter it gets.... hence, cooked fruits such as those that go into pies...
Also, BBQ sauce and Ketchup have a lot of sugar/honey in them.. again, this goes back to the sweet element...which leads me to believe you might want to read up on the Candida Albicans and see if this pertains to you.. IF it does, for me, I find that drinking lots of water helps me in that it helps to flush out the extra junk in my system..

best of luck

Yes, I am sure I have a vinegar allergy. I mainly notice it with certain sauces or dressings and my reaction varies. Most of the time I break out into a sweat on my face and the back of my neck - my whole head actually. Sometimes my the areas around my eyes get itchy and I get a bit of a headache. When it's really bad the back of my throat also becomes itchy. The symptoms usually go away after about an hour or so.
For me this allergy is mostly an annoyance - sometimes a salad is just too good to pass up and I put up with the reaction.

I am technically vinegar intolerant and have been since I was a little kid (I'm 25 now). I have "fun" digestive issues whenever I have anything that contains vinegar. The histamines in vinegar cause reactions in certain people.

It is tough to avoid foods that contain vinegar, but if it is a serious problem (like it is for me), it is necessary. I have to be extremely vigilant in making sure things are ordered without pickles, dressings, etc. Even if my food is cut by something that came in contact with vinegar, I get sick. Since I have had this since I was very young, I have easily adapted to not having condiments, and if the food doesn't taste good, I don't eat it. Be vigilant when eating out and read labels carefully. There are a very limited number of salad dressings that do not contain vinegar (made by Annie's Naturals, and they are pretty good). Many Salsa con Queso is made without vinegar. You may be able to substitute lemon or lime juices in recipes if necessary.

maybe you possibly have a problem with mold
Common food sources of mold

* Cheese
* Mushrooms
* Vinegar and foods containing vinegar, such as salad dressing, catsup and pickles
* Sour cream, sour milk and buttermilk
* Beer and wine
* Meat or fish more than 24 hours old
* Sour breads, such as pumpernickel, and other food made with a lot of yeast
* Sauerkraut
* Pickled and smoked meats and fish
* Dried fruits such as dates, prunes, figs and raisins
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/allergies/hic_spe...

edited:if it bothers you avoid it until you get to the doctor and get some answers.

try do a Google search on vinegar allergies....

Hi, First of all have you been tested for allergys? I really don't think its an allergy it is related to hyperhydrosis. It has everything to do with your sympathetic nerve system. Your vagus nerve is being stimulated when you eat which causes facial sweating. It is not dangerous for your health just annoying If you have hand or feet sweating there is a surgery that can help even facial. Just google hyperhydrosis. Happy Thanksgiving

A person can be allergic to ANYTHING. (Heck... I'm actually allergic to a certain antihistamine, which is *almost*, but not quite, impossible; and watermelon... which is something like 99.2% water. And the watermelon allergy sends me into full anaphylaxis. Just being touched by someone who has touched watermelon makes my skin blister, and every time I accidentally eat it I react worse and worse. The last time I couldn't breathe, and failing an epi pen snorted benedryl so it could absorb into my mucosal membranes).

If in addition to vinegar containing foods, you also react to straight vinegar... I would suspect vinegar.

1 / 3