Allergy Testing in Two Year Old

My daughter just turned two in March & has had what seems to be a chronic cold since she was about nine months old. She was in the hospital in October for three days because she started wheezing and x-rays showed that she had a gathering of what the dr called "asthma cells" in her lungs. At that time, we started her on a nebulizer using Albuterol when she got a stuffy nose or other cold/illness. Throughout the winter, she got sick very frequently, and even if it was just the sniffles, breathing always became difficult for her-sometimets even with the Albuterol. The dr said she has asthma that is induced by any swelling in the bronchial tubes, which is triggered by a cold or allergy. She is on a nightly regime of Pulmicort in her nebulizer, with a dose of Albuterol when she gets sick.

Recently, she has had some scaly, dry patches of skin on her cheeks and her upper thighs. He diagnozed that as ezcema. It looks dry and a little uncomfortable, but she has NEVER scratched or rubbed like it bothers her, and it doesnt look nearly as bad as what other cases of ezcema I've seen in family members/friend's children/ect. He prescribed her a steroid cream that DID seem to help, but I also noticed that just a lotion with less alcohol in it works too.

Because of the asthma and frequent colds, as well as the newly diagnosed ezcema, he is certain she has a food allergy. She has never eaten nuts/peanut butter. I kept a food diary for a while to see if I noticed a pattern, and didnt really see one food that was causing the issues. He has ordered allergy testing for her, and I am SO nervous. I'm a little concerned, I guess, that maybe it isnt a food allergy and I would hate to put her through this for no reason.

He basically sugar-coated the test (he knows what a worry wart I am!) and left me clueless and quite uneasy. I want to know-have other moms been through this with a toddler this age? What do they do? How long does it take? Will it hurt? How do I prepare her for it; how do I tell her what is going on? Is it worth it?

The test is next week...some advice and/or words of encouragement are much appreciated :)

my daughter had a food allergy test at about that age too. All they did was a simple blood test. It will test for an allergy to milk, eggs, peanuts, & wheat. My daughter is allergic to peanuts. The test itself lasts for about a minute. As far as the actual test goes, everything will be alright! If the results come back that she does have a food allergy, it will be ok. You just learn to adjust what food you buy.
As a side note, my daughter was diagnosed with asthma a month before we had her food test.

Have they tesed her for CF? (Doc will know what it is) it is an easy test and way less invasive than allergy testing and she sounds like she might have something more chronic than "allergies" unless her allergies are SEVERE

You said you kept a food diary and no one food stood out, but sometimes it's a group of foods. Dairy foods create a lot of mucus in people with a sensitivity to them and can act like a cold. Before you put your daughter through all of that, try taking all dairy foods out of her diet for at least a week. That would include milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, ice cream and anything that contains those products. If you're concerned about losing the calcium and Vitamin D of the dairy foods, you can get her Vitamin D by spending at least 15 minutes in the sun and the following website gives plant based sources of calcium: http://dfwnetmall.com/veg/plantfoodshighcontentcalcium.htm

I have a daughter who gets sick often and does not have asthma. She has been diagnosed with an immune deficiency. THe thing I hate about traditional dr's is that they treat each individual symptom instead of looking for a cause. For example treating the asthma instead of looking for what causes the asthma. My daughter also is being tested for other things too; food allergies, outside allergies and low blood pressure (a neurological problem). The one thing I am so thank ful for is meeting an osteopathic doctor. SHe is a God send. She tests for allergies in a noninvasive way. SHe has helped me with mine and a lot of these doctors specialize with children and their needs especially one's that sensitivity or hyperactivity. I would look for one in your area. I'm near Cleveland so I go to Richfield. I do work with a pediatrician too and has encouraged me to work with the osteopath too since they are more about a stron immune system vs treating each symptom as it arises. I know it's hard not to worry about your children, I have 4 and God continues to bring me challenges but I know I can put my trust in Him and He will guide me through. Best of luck and blessings to you.

I was a kid with frequent bronchitis and pneumonia, that was finally diagnosed with allergies and asthma at age 10. I went throught allergy testing more than once, and it's not the worst thing ever. You should ask the doctor what KIND of allergy test they'll do and where they'll do it. I've heard of people just getting a blood test, to getting a "scratch" test done on their arm or their back. Both times I had it done (in childhood and again at 20) it was a scratch test on my back. What that means is that they put lines of drops with different allergens on your skin and then prick them each (or scratch the spot) so that it can react with your system. They check each spot and can then tell what all you're allergic too, and "how" allergic you are to it (on a scale from 1-4 or something like that) by how big of an itchy red spot you get from each thing. It's the itching that's the WORST part of the test because it drives you nuts and you cannot move while they wait on the reactions (about 10 minutes in my case). My mom used to blow on my back or try to scratch gently between the spots. Definitely ask what you can do to try to calm/soothe your child if it's the scratch test she's having done.

The good thing is that once they know, they can treat the allergies, and you can better control the asthma. Having had it for 20 years, let me tell you, the test is WELL worth avoiding the attacks, or at least making them much less frequent. Ask lots of questions! Lots of luck to you.

Dear A.,
I and three of my four children have been allergy tested. It takes over an hour, depending upon the office. There are various levels, my children had the sticks on the back. I just had a few on my arm. It is a little prick, not very painful. My one son was two at the time and he cried with each touch, but his pain tolerance is zero. The other child didn't even flinch. It is worth it, you know exactly what to avoid. If there is a reaction the spot will swell. My one son who is allergic to everything looked like he had been attacked by a pack of mosquitoes all over his back. Take a special lovee for your child to hold while they do it.

Before I even got to the part where you said your doctor suspected food allergies, I was thinking food allergies. My now 22 month old daughter has food allergies and was diagnosed at 12 months. She had very similar symptoms and we were using the nebulizer daily to help her - a nighttime cough that was really her having trouble breathing. As soon as we got certain foods eliminated, we no longer had to use the nebulizer. She is allergic to milk, egg, peanut and sesame. Beware of the blood allergy tests, they are not accurate. That first test we did, RAST, came back as being allergic to everything - wheat, soy, milk, egg, etc. So when we got to the allergist we did skin testing, which is more accurate. It is uncomfortable because they do a little skin prick (probably 5-10 of them) and then you have to wait for the reaction. It is not that bad, and is well worth it if you can figure our how to calm the asthma and excemea - we had excema too which is better with food allergy under control. An excellent product is the Mustela Dermatologica line - sold now at Babies R Us. Good luck.

The Dr. will most likely do scratch tets on her back , they put little scratches on your back with tiny needles that have different allergy stuff on them.Then they usually wait 15 minutes or so and see if any of the scratches develope a rash of any kind.The ones that do are the things she is suppose to be allergic too. Then after they figure out what your allergic to they will order a vial of serum that usually has a couple weeks wait and then they inject the person every couple of weeks with this stuff.You have to sit and wait to see if there is any fatal reaction to it each time.It is to help desensitize the child from the allergy.I usually got a stuff / runny nose afterwards for a day or two and then would feel great until I got my next injection.Beware of false positive reactions. I was told I was allergic to cats and many food items but found out many years later it was only cat dander I was allergic to, my 4 cats get a weekly bath, no reaction to cats at all now.I never gave up any of my food allergies except shell fish which I never really cared for any ways.
Good luck.I no longer go to the allergist and do great on my own.

My son had allergy testing when he was five and I was a nervous wreck(can't imagine a two year old). Needless to say from a Mom's perspective the procedure is scary. Basically they prick their backs with a bunch of needle-like things all at once. My son laughed when they pricked him..he said it tickles! Apparently it looks much worse than it really is. He is now undergoing treatment for his allergies(the test works) and is much much better, it is worth it!

Hi- My son recently had an allergy test at 10 months and did great. I have also had the tests many times, so I knew what to expect. Basically, when they do the test on the back it feels like a cat walking across your back (that is what they always told me when I was little). My son did great, didn't even cry for the back test - he sat on my lap while they did the testing, and it goes very quick. You then have to wait 15 minutes to see if anything reacts. He also had a test on his arm, and for that test they do put a needle right under the skin, that one stings a little, my son fussed, but was fine as soon as they were finished.
Don't be nervous, the testing is definitely worth it! Hope all goes well and you receive great information from your Dr.
My son also has eczema, the best thing I have found is Cetaphil soap and moisturizing lotion, and make sure you use dye free detergents and NO fabric softner.

1 / 3