Allergy Shots for 5 Year Old

My son has awful seasonal allergy and year-round dust mite allergies. The allergist recommended doing allergy shots, which are weekly for the first 6 months and then monthly for 3-5 years. I'm just not sure about putting him through that, but she thought it would help him become immune to his allergies, as well as avoid developing other allergies and asthma. Has anyone else put their young child through allergy shots? Is it really bad or become easier as time goes on?

My daughter was on allergy shots 2x per week for about a year. I didn't think it helped, but I continued it.

What I have done for myself is I eat local raw bees honey. I get it from a roadside stand about 60 miles from my house. It is expensive, but less expensive than the time off, doctor visits and meds. Whole foods has a version, but I don't find that it works as well. I have my boss and several other co workers eating this too and everyone feels it has done wonders.

One person said she wouldn't take it because it has not been processed and was afraid of botulism.

my 19 year old has finally stopped taking them, after years of doing so. we started off twice a week and tapered off gradually to once a month.
they made a huge difference. it was a PITA to go there so often but well worth it in the long run.
khairete

My son is now on the "maintenance" part. He is 12, though, so probably handled the whole thing better than a younger child.

But know this: the needles are very small. Smaller than for all the vaccines, etc. So it really isn't as painful as you might think. My son gets 2 shots each time (one in each arm) as the allergen serums are divided into the ones he is most and least reactive to. We did the first part fast... he went twice a week all this past summer. Now he only goes once a week. This will continue for probably a year... then every 2 weeks for a while... then once a month. Total treatment time... somewhere around 2 years. Our doctor says that if they begin treatment when they are young (prior to adolescence really) that they won't need the treatments as long. If you wait until you are an adult it can take 4-5 years instead of 2.

It has helped a lot. We opted to start treatment for our son (and he agreed) when he had an asthma attack earlier this year, after having recovered 3 months prior from pneumonia. It just seemed like it would be an added level of "protection". Plus, the overflow of used tissues in the floorboard of my car was BEYOND ridiculous... and he wasn't sleeping well at night, even taking OTC meds (like Claritin and Zyrtec) due to the congestion.

Oh, and most Dr's office that do this for kids, will provide some form of "entertainment" in the waiting room for the kids... (they have to stay for about a half hour after the injections to watch for reactions). Ours has an Xbox & a Playstation and games in a smaller side room (off to the side of the "regular" waiting room) with gaming chairs and little flat screens on the wall. My son LOVES going to his allergy appts, b/c he & his sister get to play DonkeyKong while he's there.

The shots are tiny-relatively painless-and they do help desensitize the child to the allergen. Tell him it's ok to yell ouch when he is getting the shot-it's your comittment to taking him that is the hardest!

My son, daughter and I all took the allergy shots. My son started when he was in 4th or 5th grade. My daughter was older and I WISH they had both been started on the shots when they were younger. They both had so many issues with allergies, sinus infections and so on. My son also had allergy induced asthma. We were all on so many medications - inhalers (two different kinds for my son), pills, chambers for the inhalers, etc. - I had a seperate bag for the drugs when we went anywhere - and then there was extra meds when anyone got a sinus infection) Once the allergy shots started taking effect - we ALL did better. The shots were not bad - needles are small and if you get a person who knows how to give a shot - then it is really nothing at all. My daughter and I took shots for about 4 years - my son took them for 5 years. For a long time during and after the shots NONE of us had any allergy problems. We have moved now from one part of the country to another and we all have some small issues with seasonal allergies BUT still NOTHING like the issues we had before the shots. I recommend the shots -make it fun for your son - give him a small treat or some reward after he is "good" while getting the shot.

... can't he take antihistamine pills?

I have seasonal allergies... AND Asthma... and this of course can affect me year round... I have been this way since childhood. My parents opted not to give me shots. But as needed... I take antihistamine pills... now it being Claritin. ONLY when needed. Then, I take my Asthma inhaler.... WHEN needed.

How would your son... handle, having to take shots... regularly... and for 3-5 years???? And weekly for the first 6 months????

My friend... has MANY allergies to foods AND environmental dust... her options were shots (like your son), or, taking Antihistamine pills... which for her, she toggles between Zyrtec and Claritin.... and inhalers... because it affects her lungs as well. She personally, did not want to 'have to' take shots... for years.

Also, if you have carpeting.. you might consider having only hard flooring and taking out carpeting. This is what my parents did.... when I was a child... since I had Asthma.

all the best,
Susan

I can't say what it would be like for a child to go through the whole allergy shot regimen, but I took the shots as an adult (for 3 years), and they worked extremely well for me. It might be better to get him through the shots now, because if his allergies get worse over time, he could develop asthma. And asthma is a life-long chronic condition that can be controlled, but it never goes away. As another poster wrote below, the needles are very tiny. He should be fine. I saw lots of kids at my allergists office getting their shots.

I'd also like to add this, as an asthma/allergy sufferer. Although the shots took care of my major allergies to dust mites, molds, pollens, and cat dander, I still absolutely can not be around strong artificial fragrances, especially spray and plug-in air fresheners. Those things send me dashing for my rescue inhaler! If you use them in your home, you might want to stop. It could be aggravating his problems.

There are holistic approaches as well! My husband is a pediatric/adult chiropractor in Mansfield and he works with these issues, without shots or strong medications, we have plenty of children who no longer have asthma attacks, allergy issues, etc.. If you are interested, Dr. Todd Elsner can be contacted at ###-###-####. We are in the process of moving and are actually having a special right now, first visit is on us!

1 / 3