T.T. asks from Keller, TX on May 27, 2008
Allergy or What?
When getting my 2 year old ready for dinner i took her shirt off and found red sploches that looked like hives all over her chest and tummy. I have no clue what it is...
I have her Zyertec and just watched her to make sure it didnt spread or any breathing problems...which were none.
She ate nothing different than what she has eaten before. She ate eggs and lunch meat for lunch.
She did wear a new t-shirt that i dont think i washed before putting it on her.
Do you think it could be a sudden egg allergy or something she is sensitive to on the shirt?
Should i take her to her Ped. and have it checked out?
B.L. answers from Dallas on June 03, 2008
Is sounds like its the shirt not the your child. What are you using for laundry detergent? I know a wonderful detergent that is safe for everyone as well as environmentally friendly. Its called, Mela-Power. If you want more information on it, just e-mail me. I will be gald to help you out.
A.M. answers from Dallas on May 27, 2008
S. answers from Dallas on May 28, 2008
It probably is the shirt, but keep in mind the possibility of chicken pox, especially if she has been exposed by going to MDO or church nursery...I discovered that children can still get chicken pox even if they have been vaccinated, but generally it is a much milder version. Chicken pox usually starts with a rash on the tummy area. If it goes away fairly quickly with no fever and benadryl then it probably was an allergic reaction; if it continues or spreads then consider calling the pediatrician to see if it might be chicken pox - although the pediatrician will not do anything for the pox, so not really worth a trip to the dr., you just have to weather the storm. Good luck.
A.K. answers from Dallas on May 28, 2008
I would give her Benadryl instead of Zrytec. I bet she was allergic to some chemicals on the new shirt. Food allergies typically do not come on that suddenly. Both off my children are allergic to milk and my oldest is also allergic to eggs. I would hold off on taking her to the pedi because he really won't be able to tell you anything other than to give her Benadryl. If you want to get her allergy tested, they can do it through a simple blood test that either your pedi or an allergist can do. I recommend starting with your pedi.
K.D. answers from Dallas on May 28, 2008
I agree that it was most likely the shirt and that you need to give Benadryl because it is a fast acting antihistamine.
About food allergies ... they can come on that fast. My DS had eaten watermelon and cantaloupe A LOT and then all the sudden one day after eating it he said he was itchy. He had hives everywhere the watermelon juice touched him (it had dripped all down his chest). He has other food allergies so we went to the allergist who confirmed that he all of the sudden was allergic to melons.
L.S. answers from Dallas on May 27, 2008
Give her the zyrtec. you can use OTC hydrocortisone cream or ointment. My best guess would be the chemicals or detergent left in the shirt. I would wash it. I wouldn't go see the pedi unless the bumps didn't go away. They could also be flea bites. I would hate for you to go and pay money for him to tell you he thinks they are bug bites and to take the zyrtec. and to use the OTC cream. I doubt it is the eggs as she has eaten them before. IF it were an allergy to the eggs, the bumps would not be only on her tummy and chest, they would be on her arms and legs and back, etc. which leads me to think it is the shirt or fleas or chiggers.
I wouldn't go to the doctor unless she had facial swelling, swelling of the lips, hives all over, or respiratory/breathing difficutlties, AND if all this stuff happens, then you should go directly to the ER. STAT!
But you said nothing happened. the spots may even be gone tomorrow.
I am not a take them quickly to the doctor kinda girl. I am an RN and I treat at home until either I don't know what else there is to do, need better medicine only a doctor can prescribe, or it is a true emergency. Then I only seek the ER for bleeding, lacerations, stitches, broken bones etc. But I am a nurse and pretty laid back. I have usually gone through all the common sense things I can think of before heading to the doctor, so he truly knows something is up when he sees us. And doesn't hesitate to educate me and treat the kids accordingly.
But you are the one that has to be comfortable. If it would make you feel better, than by all means take her and let the doctor take a look. I am only saying what I would do if I were in your shoes.