Allergic to Underwear?

My son has been potty training for a little over a month and to simplify things we have just been going commando. He's doing really well and hasn't had any accidents, so we upgraded him to big boy underwear last Tuesday. On Saturday I noticed a rash around where the waist band would be and my husband said he'd noticed it the day before (he bathes him-and I don't know why he didn't say something sooner). I was worried it might be the underwear so we went back to going commando on Sunday and he hasn't worn underwear since. The rash isn't totally gone, but is improving. My question is do you think it could be from the underwear or is it just a coincidence? Our detergent hasn't changed and nothing is new in his diet. He did have a virus last week, with a mild fever for about 24 hours and then a cough and runny nose, so I guess it could be related to that...? If it is from the underwear what could he be allergic to? They say 100% cotton, but they are the little tighty whitey type underwear with an elastic waist (can that be made from cotton too?) My husband said maybe it's latex, but I don't think there is any latex in them. Has anyone else experienced something like this and what was the solution? Is there another kind out there that I could try instead? Thanks for all of your help. I just feel weird calling his pediatrician for a question about underwear!

Thanks, Moms. I just wanted to clarify again that I don't think it's the detergent, he was in cloth diapers, washed with the same detergent and we never had this problem. I did was the underwear first, but it might not have been in hot water. I'll try to find some of the underwear that have the comfort band instead. And it's probably not a latex allergy because he hasn't had a reaction to anything else, including band aids. Any more advice is greatly appreciated!

There usually is latex in the waistband of underwear. My daughter did get a rash also, but I just washed them and then rolled the band over inside once and sewed it down to give a second layer against her skin that did work. And by the way, she is allergic to latex but this did work for her.

I have a really good friend that is allergic to elastic. She has to look long and hard for panties that wont give her a rash and in most cases has to wear them inside out even. So, he may have a latex allergy. I would check that out. What ever rubber is used in the elastic is also a heat generator and he may be getting a heat rash from sweating in that area since it doesnt breathe well. Try applying some cornstarch to that area before putting his underwear on and see if that doesnt resolve it. His body may need to acclimate to the new substance (elastic waste band) as well and in time he wont be allergic to it anymore once his little immune system figures it out.

it's probably the latex in the waist band elastic. I would get a different kind. and give it a try. There are some brands that have the elastic coated with soft cotton. It will be more expensive as usually they come in packages of 2 or 3 instead of the packages of 5 but he will be more comfortable.

Hi S. - I just wanted to confirm what Iluvmylittleguy said. My daughter has the same problem. In my case, and I suspect in yours, it was not an allergy, just sensitivity in the area. My daughter can plaster herself with bandaids and wear almost anything else with elastic with no problem, but the elastic around the waist and legs of her panties gives her a rash. I would recommend getting comfort waistbands, or similar types without exposed elastic (which are harder to find for girls). Good luck!

My son gets a little rash around the waist band area. My husband has the same problem if the waist bands aren't the "comfort" bands. Something about the elastic causes them to rash up a bit if they get sweat or moisture under it (which they do). Unfortunately, "comfort" waist bands for little boys are hard to find. I cut all the little tags out of the back, but he still gets the rash from time to time. I have found that going with the next size up makes the waist band looser, and helps with the irritation (even if he has "droopy drawers"-lol).

I think it is a sensitivity to the elastic in the underwear, probably not an allergy or you probably would have noticed by now. I know my son would get a rash in the back from the tag on some underwear, it just irritated him.
I would recommend trying to buy some of the Hanes Comfortsoft Tagless briefs or boxer briefs.

My son has gotten a little better as he has gotten older. He can wear some underwear without any complaints or problems. So maybe your son will adapt, maybe not. But atleast there are options now.

I would check with your doc...found a very interesting article for you:
http://www.latexallergyresources.org/resourcemanual/secti...

Have him checked for a latex allergy. Elastic has latex in it.

1 / 3