Allergic to Splenda?

Today my 18 month old son suddenly developed a red splotchy rash around his mouth and nose. It came on all of a sudden and then he started to rub underneath his nose like it was itching. It went away after about a half hour, but I would still like to know what caused it. The only thing new that he has eaten or touched is sugar-free syrup. He loves to eat waffles and I thought I was making a good decision by changing his syrup to sugar-free even though I don't give him a lot of it. The bottle says that it contains Splenda. Has anyone ever heard of Splenda causing an allergic reaction?

My boyfried is allergic to Splenda and has been since he was little. He gets a migraine after intake of any kind of sugar-free food/drink/gum etc.

I breastfed my son and if I used splenda products he would break out in a rash. He is now 3. I have not noticed any breakouts. So I assume he outgrew the allergy.

A lot of people have had reactions to Splenda (the generic being sucralose, so keep an eye out for that, too). While it's a sugar derivative, it is not a natural sweetner. Part of the sugar molecules have been replaced with chlorine, which is why the body doesn't recognize it as food and thus it has no calories. Up to 15% of the chlorine can be absorbed by the body, so it's not a good alternative to sugar. It's in everything, though, so you have to keep a close eye out. Most "light" foods have it, even if they aren't sugar-free.

Sorry your little one had an itchy rash, but I'm glad you caught it early!

My 43 yr old boss has allergic reaction to Splenda, body cramps. My husband and I get headaches from saccerine and aspertine. Moderation of anything you put in your body is healthy living. I'm not an organic junkie, but I do believe some things man-made can't be an improvement on what God created. From what you described it went through your son's system pretty fast and atleast you've a keen eye to pin point something new might be the culprit.

My daughter had a similar reaction to syrup when she was younger. She also had eczema. It could be the artificial sweetener but it could also be a dye (red maybe?) in your syrup. I've had several friends tell me their children had reactions to red dyes when they were young. Compare your sugar free to your regular syrup and see what else is different in the ingredients. My doctor did not seem concerned when I told her. Hope this helps. M.

This also happened to my daughter (23 mth) a couple of months ago when i tried to switch her to "low-fat" mayonnaise - she loves "ma-maise" to dip her chicken nuggets and brocolli (i know, weird) in at lunch sometimes, and i thought that i should lower the fat content a bit for her own good - but after eating the low-fat version she got the red splotchy rash around her mouth that went away after an hour or so... so we don't use that anymore...

Give him the plain old fashion syrup...He seems to be
allergic to the Splenda...I am so, I know it can cause a
rash to appear...Regular syrup is not going to hurt the
baby unless you let him use the whole bottle at one time..

Splenda is de-caloried by Chlorine. Suposedly all of the chlorine is removed, but there are many many reports of people with chlorine issues having bad reactions to splenda. While sugar has its issues, at least it is natural.

1 / 3