Allergic to Bras?? Anyone Else??

I know it sounds funny but I seem to be allergic to some brands of bras. It seems to be Maidenform and Werner at this point. Just one day of wearing and I have itchy red breasts for weeks! It’s awful! Right now I am down to only being able to wear my Bravado nursing bras (and I’m not nursing)!! It isn’t my laundry soap. Has this happened to anyone else? Any recommendations for a “clean” good bra?

I swear I am allergic to any bras with lace or latex on them. I agree you may have an allergy to the following or a combo of the following ingredients: synthetic fibers, rubber, elastic, latex, lace, lycra, spandex. Try finding one where all the components are 100% cotton or organic cotton including the straps, cups, band and lining/stuffing if you use one with that in it.

Well... I just posted a response about this in regard to another question...

You might be experiencing a latex allergy. Certain kinds of elastic (especially the cheaper brands) often contains latex. I have to spend more on bras and underwear, looking for the kind that do not have exposed elastic or uses a different type of stretchy material instead of elastic.

Here is info from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latex_allergy) on
Irritant contact dermatitis and Type IV (allergic contact dermatitis) due to latex... You can decide if it is similar to your current reaction:

1.) Irritant contact dermatitis: It can also cause irritant contact dermatitis: The most common type of reaction. This causes dry, itchy, irritated areas on the skin, most often on the hands. It can be caused by the irritation of using gloves, or it can also be caused by exposure to other workplace products.

2.) Also known as allergic contact dermatitis. This involves a delayed skin rash that is similar to poison ivy with blistering and oozing of the skin (see urushiol-induced contact dermatitis). This type is caused by a naturally occurring latex protein. Type IV reactions are caused by the chemicals used to process the rubber. Patch testing needs to be done to verify which type of chemical triggers the reaction. Once the chemical is identified, then the person can choose products that are not processed with that chemical. Both natural rubber and synthetic rubber products may cause type IV reactions.

I am allergic to latex. However, I was not always allergic; the sensitivity develops due to repeated exposure and gets worse after each incident of exposure. I no longer have the simple 'rash reaction' (red, itchy angry rash where your skin is in contact with latex.) I know get flu-like symptoms which can interfere with my breathing (stage 2 congestion/coughing, not anaphylactic shock yet).

Like I said, the more exposure someone has, the greater the potential that they may develop a latex reaction. Here is some info on latex allergies (in regard to elastic):
http://www.special-clothes.com/latex.htm
http://latexallergylinks.tripod.com/
http://www.latexallergylinks.org/lycra.html
http://www.latexallergyresources.org/topics/consumerProdu...

The last link is good if you need help in finding latex free products. I've pasted in the brand info on undergarments:

Hygeia - Latex-free underwear
Decent Exposures (800-524-4949) - Latex-free elastic for bras, underwear, swim suits
Blue Canoe (888-923-1373) - Latex-free clothing
Vermont Country Store ###-###-####) - Latex-free socks
Dr. Leonard's Healthcare Catalog (800-785-0880) - Non-binding, latex-free cotton socks
TechSpun (800-392-8500) - Latex-free socks
Kathy Ireland cotton/lycra/nylon (Kmart)
Cotton socks without elastic
Cottonique (1-888-90-COTTON) - Latex-free bras, underwear, t-shirts & boxers. (for both men and women)

Never had this happen but maybe the synthetic fibers are causing the rash. Maybe try some sort of organic bras or just plain cotton. Sorry I don't really have experience with this.

I tend to get a rash from my bras and it's not only the fabric or nylon it could be many other things. It really could be your laundry soap, no other part of your body stays in contact with fabric washed longer than your breasts. it could be the dryer sheets, bleach, the fabric softener, etc....I think mine is related to heat. The pores on my breasts get more open when they stay heated from all the layers of clothes. That way they get more easily irritated. The sweaty environment can also cause a yeast rash to grow. I use a good quality powder all the time. It creates a barrier that prohibits moistness. I use Gold Bond or Baby Powder with Corn Starch.

It is definitely toxic chemicals embedded in the fabric. I have had terrible, scary lesions on my body after wearing 2 different Warner's bras. I have emailed and written the company about this, but they refuse to take any responsibility for it. They say it is not the bras but there is no doubt whatsoever that it is. They say the chemicals are proprietary and won't tell me which ones are causing this. Of course I would never ever buy a Warner's bra again.

I have had problems with bras that contain latex. They cause a lot of itching on my breasts and abdomen. Playtex bras seemed to be the culprit. Since I changed brands the itching has stopped.

Go to Cottonique - they sell organic 100% cotton bras - no latex. Very comfortable. I enjoy them very much.

OMG I'm so glad to hear someone else has this issue. I started having issues around xmas. We were away so I was sure it was the detergent. Itchy with some hives too under the bra about 1" or 2". We went out west to ski and the hives were all over my boobs. I went to the local hospital and got a fancy cream and was given prednison (which I didn't take) cause the cream helped after 3 days of issues. The sweating under near and the nylon/spandex bra, add in the underwire, was horrible. I went without a bra, just like a hippy from the 60's. I just got home from the trip, washed the new cotton bras in woolite and so far so good. You're welcome to email me direct (____@____.com). Good luck.

1 / 3