Allergic Reaction to Yogurt - I Think

Help! I started my 10month old on YoBaby yogurt yesterday. (Super Baby Food Book says you can start at 8mo) He had two messy dirty diapers in the afternoon, and then by bath/bedtime his entire body was covered in red blotchy raised hives/rash. We gave him a long Aveeno oatmeal bath and put Aveeno lotion on him (he has had a mild case of baby ecsema.) I called his ped 1st thing this morning, and they said to try Benedryl and don't give him any more yogurt at all. My question is - how long should I wait to try again with the yogurt? Or is he just going to be allergic to it and I shouldn't ever try again? He has never been allergic to any other foods. His dad nor I are not allergic to any foods either.

I would hold off on milk products if you think it's a legitimate allergy. Perhaps try at 1 year and two years. At 1 year children generally stop drinking breastmilk and begin drinking cow's milk.

I would wait until he is a year. He may have a mild allergy to cows milk, or his body just may not be ready for cows milk.

Hope this helps

I had close to the same problem with my now 3 yr. old. It was like a light switch turned on at 12-13 months. She went from breaking out when she would try things with milk in it, to being just fine. My suggestion would be after the rash clears up, try 1/2 of the YoBaby in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon/evening.

First, read all of the ingredients, it could be one of the fruits in the yogurt. If it is plain yogurt, I believe the book said to begin with plain yogurt and wait one week to try again. Good luck and good for you for reading the Super Baby Food book. I loved following it. Good luck.

You should wait until 12 mos. to start anything with dairy or cows milk. I always waited until after talking to my Dr. at their one year well baby check-up.

He may have been allergic to something in the yogurt- did it have fruit in it? I am not familiar with YoBaby. As with any allergy, be very cautious about giving it to him again. Personally, I would wait a year, and at that time try plain yogurt and only a spoonful at a time to see if there is any reaction, but you should seek his doctor's advice on this.
He may outgrow this allergy. My daughter was allergic to strawberries at age 3, but a couple years later she could eat them just fine and has not had a problem with them since.

Hope this helps

I would not try it again. My 2 boys have food allergies and we have been advised that you shouldn't try a food again if there was a reaction. Also, I would contact your ped and see about allergy testing. If you do have allergy testing done-take list of ingredients with you so it can be determined what they should test for. It doesn't matter that you and dad don't have allergies-my husband and i don't either but both our boys do. Also-did you know that exzema is related to allergies? You may want to question your ped about this also. Hope this helps.

You could ask your doctor about doing blood tests for allergies, I didn't even know these existed until last year after my youngest son had a reaction to Mango. He told me that an allergy will only show up on the blood test if the child had eaten that food previously, so they were unable to test for fruit allergies that usually accompany an allergy to Mango. We just have to try out those foods slowly, always keeping Benadryl on hand and watching closely for ANY reactions. I would talk to the ped about feeding him the yogurt again, because allergic reactions tend to be stronger and more dangerous the more times a person is exposed to the allergen. I don't really understand this, as it seems conflicting with the fact that many kids seem to outgrow some childhood food allergies, but it is what I was told, so...
~J.

Sounds like an allergy...wait a few months and try again.

1 / 3