Allergic Reaction to Deoderant

My 13 year old son recently started using deoderant. The problem is that it works great to keep him from smelling but he is getting a horrible allergic reaction under his arms that resembles a heat rash. Showering every day helps but I need some advice on a deoderant brand that is gentle on the skin but doesn't smell girly. He's already pretty small and gets picked on for being the youngest in his class so using Woman's Secret which I'm sure would work is NOT an option.
Any other mom's frustrated that there is skin care for girls but boys are ignored unless they want to smell like camphor?

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. We are going to try the Tom's brand and then the crystal if he's still sensitive to that. I really had no idea how many people had this type of problem.

I would try all different types and brands. My husband can only use Right Guard clear gel. All the others cause problems. I have rash problems when I use Secret and only with Secret. Good Luck.

I have sensitive skin in my pits...lol. I always look for unscented or sensitive skin deodorants. One thing I have problems with is that after a couple of weeks my body will adjust to the deodorant and I have to switch it out. So I rotate the ones I have only using them for a couple of days. It works for me. HTH

Natural food stores sell a product called crystal deodorant. It is a combination of salts that does not allow the bacteria that cause the smell to grow. It works great for me and my DH. It does not prevent sweating, just the smell. I have trouble with underarm sensitivity, and that helps. Also, it helps to place a powder of some kind (like baby powder for instance) can help to heal the rash, or even prevent it. You could try an unscented version of that, if you wanted.

My husband is also very sensitive to deo. He uses the Sure brand with the unscented kind. He can use Speed Stick unscented, but the Sure seems to work better for him. Every body is different though. So I would suggest trying a variety and see if it helps any.

Otherwise, my grandfather used to use something like baking soda or baking powder and just rubbed it in his arm pits after taking a shower and that worked really well for him. And he lived in Phoenix.

Hi we had the same problem with our son and we found that sauve brand with baby powder seemed to be the only one that didn't cause the irritation. Good luck it is just a process of elimination.

Try going to a store like "Wild Oats" or other health food organic store. I've found the natural options do work and tend to not have alergic reacations. Also check the percentage of active ingredient as some are stronger than others. I had this problem and Dove worked for me, but even the unsented ones smell flowery.

Try frangance free...Also Almay has a frangance free version that doesn't bother me too much.. Make sure he is not putting too much on also. Also make sure he is using mild soap and rinsing it all off and not over drying the skin in that area.

My kids are too little to have to deal with this yet, but my husband is super sensitive and if I buy him the wrong kind of deoderant he gets a rash. He uses Speed Stick, but even with that he can only use a few of varieties, so my advice would be to keep trying different kinds. I know that may be kind of expensive but maybe you can try the travel sizes to find something that works.

1 / 3