All She Wants to Do Is Dance

Hi everyone,my 4yr. old daughter loves to dance and has mentioned she wants to be a ballerina. Does anyone know of an affordable place where I can take her for ballet or dance lessons of some sort. I'm a single parent so I can't afford too much on my own. I also thought about ballroom dancing for her but I don't know what's the right age to start that at. Any suggestions anyone? You all always give me good advice so I want to say thank you in advance.

I'm not sure where you live, but the Hurst Recreation Center offers dance for kids. They are very reasonable with their prices. They offer sign up to Hurst residents first, and then offer the open spots to non-residents. I think there is a like a $2 or $4 extra fee for living outside of Hurst. I don't have girls, just boys, but I know they do offer dance classes. God bless you.

I would check the city rec center you live in. When we lived in Euless we got cheap memberships to their rec center and my daughter who was 2-4 at the time took ballet, tap, tumbling, soccer, etc. They were short classes and very cheap ($10-$20/class if I remember correctly). I like it so that she could try it out and see what she liked and didn't. If your daughter liked it she could keep going. I think it'd be a good thing until you can afford a regular dance academy.
What about gymnastics or something like that to keep her active? We've never paid more then $70/month for gymasntics for one class a week. One on Hwy 26 we went to 1st was only $55. Some of them offer dance classes as well maybe they would be similar price range.

I am not sure what city you live in but my girls go to the Dance Workshop in Arlington. They are GREAT with the little ones.

What area are you in? I know that AIM (Arts in Mansfield) has a dance ballett class at the First United Methodist Church in Mansfield that is reasonable. If that is in your area, you may want to check it out.

Try your local parks/recreation b/c they have very affordable dance classes - ballet, tap, jazz and more! Good luck.

my 4 year old just started dance yesterday at the n. richland hills rec center. it was $44 for 8 weeks. the shoes (tap and ballet) and leotard cost as much as the class! so i'd check the rec center near you, it's probably as cheap as you're going to get and they may even have financial aid. good luck.

I would definitely take advantage of it without pushing it and make sure its not b/c she wants the pretty outfits. Most schools have an area where they have slippers that kdis have outgrown for re-use- stick with basic outfits so you don't fall into that expense- sinple leotard with a little ballet skirt that she can use with different colored inexp leotards. Call your local Chamber of Comemrce and there are a lot of area recreation centers that offer inexp classes for young kids- check those out first before committing to a school. Then check with local schools- tell them about your situation- they may alter the fee- you never know until you ask. Expose her to differnt types of dance for sure- but do a small trial class here and there- dnt inundate her with too much- My dgt danced for 10 years and it ended when she hurt herself- but she made way for basektball and volleyball instead which I was ok with- but boy we had some amazing years- Competing is fun but expensive but buidls charater and helps developement. it hink any sport- art- involvemnt is great and well- it can be costly but...its cheaper than rehab.! lol- Most children that do stay involved in an art or sport have a less likely chance of getting in trouble or involved in drinking and drugs- Keep em busy!

I don't know where you live but I have a couple of suggestions. DoubleTake Dance in Bedford is great and in my opinion affordable. Also, Bedford Boys Ranch usually offers some affordable dance classes. If you aren't near here, check with your local Rec centers. HTH

1 / 3