Alicia Silverstone Scared Me About Caffeine!

Hi Moms,

For those who don't know,a few years ago, Alicia Silverstone came out w/ a vegan book/cookbook called The Kind Diet. I've had it forever and just started reading it. A lot of things scared me, but especially what she wrote about caffeine. Here is what she wrote:

"Caffeine stresses the immune system and your heart, reduces your ability to feel safe and peaceful, and can mess wth your fertility. It also steals minerals from your blood and bones ad dries you out, causing wrinkles! Caffeine sucks... literally!"

WOW, I am spooked! I really love my morning coffee and would hate to give it up (she did offer alternatives), but I don't want to stress my immune system, my heart, and get wrinkles!! She also said coffee can cause breast cysts. I feel so sad to have to get rid of my yummy morning coffee w/ half and half. I will try to kick the habit, but it will be tough! Did any of you know this about caffeine? What are your thoughts on this?

For those of you who question Alicia's authority on caffeine - she must have received a lot of help with this book. I'm sure she spoke with nutritionists, doctors, etc.

My thoughts on caffeine are the same as most other things: moderation is key. All things in moderation are OK. (Almost all things! lol) And Alicia Silverstone ,while adorable, isn't exactly my medical knowledge go-to gal!

Is she a doctor or a nutritionist? Everything in moderation my dear. Just breathing the air is toxic for us. I will never give up my cup of coffee in the morning. Life's too short not to enjoy it a little bit.

She's really talking about extremes in caffeine. What it comes down to is "everything in moderation." Things that have caffeine in them, such as chocolate and coffee, actually have some healthy benefits to them so caffeine isn't the only consideration when cutting certain things out.

She also uses some panic-inducing language about dairy as well and in interviews has called it toxic, so you really do need to take what she says with a grain of salt. Use her recipes but don't count her as an "authority." She's really talking about what worked for her to get herself healthy and if her methods work for other people, then great, but it's not entirely realistic or even affordable for a lot of people.

You want to see something really scary?

Come to my house before I've had my morning coffee. Even my husband is terrified of that beast!

In all seriousness, yes, of COURSE excess caffeine does a number on our bodies. I don't drink it in moderation (right now) and I'm not going to start (right now). That's okay with me. I also drive a car, smoke cigarettes (gasp!!!), love bechamel sauce and sometimes eat red meat.

Anger and fear are (IMHO) far worse for the body than a little extra caffeine and the occasional artery clogging meal. I get a lot of joy from my guilty pleasures and right now, that's alright with me.

I love coffee... NOTHING and NO ONE could convince me to stop drinking it!

Good Lord, is NOTHING sacred! Studies have been trying for a century to find different reasons why caffeine is a BAD thing!
Even Alicia Silverstone (whoever that is) cannot TAKE MY COFFEE AWAY! THAT is where I HAVE to put my foot down!

:)

ANY chemical messes with your body. It's a CHEMICAL. If you STRESS you get wrinkles.

If you get freaked out over that - then don't watch the news or go to the grocery store and buy anything processed. Processed Cheese slices...don't go to any fast food joint - the chemicals that they have to spray on their foods to keep them "preserved".....

Birth control pills mess with your fertility...are you going to stop taking them because you don't want to get pregnant? NO.

look at all the studies done on MICE with caffeine and any other medicine - they give them 2000 (yes TWO THOUSAND) times what a normal human would consume. So are the mice affected?! HELL YES!!! It's called moderation. Have your cup of coffee....stop stressing over this. Are you drinking 100 cups of coffee a day? If so - then yeah - cut back - but seriously? You are going to give yourself high blood pressure stressing about it.

if you live - you die. Are you going to stress every day over dying or are you going to live your life? Eat healthy - you still die. it's a fact of life. Instead of worrying about these affects - LIVE YOUR LIFE - LAUGH! LOVE!!! DON'T stress over this!!!

Don't know about the wrinkles, but I did find this about caffeine on About.com:

http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/caffeine.htm

The bottom line is moderation. As long as you aren't consuming boatloads of caffeine, you're okay. But if you are consuming boatloads, you need to cut back.

Edited to add: That there have been studies about drinking coffee and finding that drinking coffee is beneficial. Coffee (both decaf and regular) is loaded with anti-oxidants.

Everything in moderation :)

1 / 3