Airplane Trip with 6 Month Old

I will be flying with my 6 month old soon and would like some advice. I have one of those Graco car seats that detaches from the base. I was going to pack the base in a suitcase and carry the baby in the other part, storing it in the overhead compartment. Has anyone ever done this? Do you think it will fit? Will the airline give me trouble? I don't want to rent one (I heard scary stories). And this will attach to my stroller also (which I will check). I don't want to check it because I hear scary stories about luggage getting lost or broken. Any other advice on taking a 6 month old on an airplane would be great! Thanks!

My daughter started going on planes at 10 weeks old. If there is any empty seat next to you, they airline will let you strap in the car seat and you can use that. Most seats will fit in the overhead as well. Take some toys to play with and have a pacifier for take off and landing.

If I may offer some suggestions. You can go to Yahoo search and type in "gooseysdream". That's where you will find me..I hope you find what you need to help you.

J. Fulton

I took my son to Utah when he was still in an infant carrier (about 10 months old), but I didn't bring the base with me it was enough to carry with the stoller, his carrier with him in it and the diaper bag and carry on bag. I didn't buy a seat for him, but I took the late red eye flight and so it was pretty empty so I got a seat to put him in anyway. Flying the red eye with a baby is the best I think.

I hear taht sucking on something like a pacifier or drinking their bottle helps their little ears with the pressure that we as adults feel when on a plane.

Annie R

J. Fulton

When my daughter was an infant, we flew with her. We did not bring the base with us. Most of the Graco infant seats can be used in the car without the base. Check your manual. If you are not buying a ticket for your child, if there are empty seats on the plane, you can use the infant seat. Otherwise, just gatecheck the infant seat along with your stroller.

Hi Amber,

I think your ideas will work.

Good luck. Have a safe trip. D.

I traveled on a plane with my son when he was 7 months old from MD to AZ - it was a 5 hour flight and I was nervous. I didn't bring any of that because luckily I had a friend on the other end in Phoenix who had a complete set of stroller and car seat. THE BEST thing I did was take my Baby Bjorn/baby strap on thing. When they are that small, it's hard to move as quickly as you need to with all their baggage in tow and remembering to take the baby, ha ha.
I strapped him on me and was able to pull our suitcase on and off the shuttle (I had to park at the airport for the 5 days we were gone), got into the airport, checked my bags and was able to go through security without a problem (removing my son and the carrier for the walk through). On the plane, I fed him his bottle, a couple jars of food, put him to sleep on my chest and by the time we arrived he was just getting antsy. If I didn't have that baby carrier I know my trip would have been way more difficult.
Good luck! Get a good night's sleep before you go!

HI, we traveled a while back with a 3 mo old and did the following:
~brought the infant carrier (not the base) and did a gate check-in of the infant carrier - didn't have any problems with the airline. We rented a car at our destination, so just seatbelted the infant carrier in the rental car (with no car seat base).
~had a "frame stroller" that the infant carrier fit onto and also did a gate check-in of the stroller - again - didn't have any problems with the airline.

We did not have any problems with damage to infant carrier or stroller - but we did a gate check-in instead of the regular luggage check-in stuff.

Do you need to take your car seat base - or can you get by with just the carrier part?

We flew to Colorado (4hrs) w/ our son who was 8 mths at the time. As far as the car seat we took ours without any isses. This was a year ago so I would check. It shouldn't count as luggage if you were goingto have him in your lap. It sounds like you will have a seat for him though. What we did was pack the base in a contractors bag and tag it w/ our information. Again they should not cahtrge you for it because it shouldn't be considered luggage, same w/ the pack N play, if you are taking that as well. Since its just tyhe base they are pretty hard to break. In case it would happen to get lost, luckily enough car seats will still install correctly, and if needed you can make it to the store to buy and exatr at the expense of the airline of course. Also we flew w/ our son on our lap to Fl. (2 1/2 hrs). Try to scheuld or keep him awake and as you are taking off feed him. This will help with the ears popping and all since he is sucking on the bottle. Then hopefully he will take a nice long nap and wake as you are making it to your destination. It makes it alot easier. We also had a travel laptop w/ headphones for the Colorado trip and when he woke up we watched baby einstein. He has enjoyed those disks from 3 mths old. Just simple stuff to keep him entertained for the trip.
Double check w/ the airline about the base and good luck with the travels!

1 / 3