Age Limit for Sharing a Room

I was wondering if anyone knew what the law was about brothers and sisters sharing a room. I'm wanting to get an apartment, but can't afford a 3 bedroom. I can afford a 2 bedroom though. My twins are 2, they'll be 3 in July and have ALWAYS shared a room. Does anyone know?

Thanks everyone for all the info. I've found out that it is ok for them to share a room. So now I am getting my own apartment in April...can't wait. A cute 2 bedroom. Thanks again for all the help!

As crazy as it sounds I HAVE heard of this law . The State of Fla does not want a brother and sister to share a room after a certain age. If you contact DCF they will tell you. If you cannot afford it they will tell you if the mom is single and no father around for the daughter to share a room with the mom while the son has his own room. This is real crazy but it is a law out here in florida that is like that. I once was going to rent a apt in Orlando and was pregnant at the time and they asked me what was I havign and I told them a girl and they told me either she sleeps with me in my room or I will have to get a 3bd because she cannot sleep in the same room as her brother and at that time he was 6yrs old.

I am glad you can save money.

As far as I know there is no law like that in Florida or anywhere. Both my niece and nephew have been sharing a room since they were babies and they are full fledged teenagers now. YOu might have to set certain rules as they get older, but it should not be a problem.

I have never heard of a law about age limit for kids sharing a room. Where did you hear this? Is it a law here in FL? I don't see how the goverment can tell you how long your kids can share a room, it's up to you. Especially if you can only afford a 2 bedroom. You might want to research the internet.

S. -

In many contracts the max # of tenants is 2 per bedroom + 1. So in a 2br apt, the max # of people is 5. I recommend you check the lease wherever it is you decide to go.

-Charlene

If that is a real law, that is the dumbest law I've ever heard of. Maybe people should spend more time making laws for theives and child molestors than how many years a brother and sister can share a room. Sheesh.

I'm glad you found a nice apartment!

I have heard about the law but I don't know what the age is. I'm curious myself because when we came to rent our apartment they didn't have any 3 bedrooms available and we HAD to take a 2 bedroom because we had sold our house and were closing in 3 weeks. Did you find out the specifications on the law??

as far as i know their is no law...my kids would share a room now if id let them, lol...they are 5 and 6...i think until they actually need thier privacy (12 or 13) they can share a room...im sure it will depend on thier own individual personalities and your finances...

the law in question is for foster care - if you are fostering then children under the age of 5 can share a room. After that they have to have thier own room or share with the parents.

Some landlords will say it is the law, but that is for thier protection & not true if the children are yours.

Good luck with your new home!!

S.,

For now, you are fine. I have heard school age is the limit. So about 5 years old. I think it is ridiculous that the law is able to determine that for us, however, they do. Once they are school age, if you arent able to get a 3 bedroom, you could always move your daughters stuff into your room, and take the couch. A friend of mine did this. She had no other options. Good luck S.!

1 / 3