Age Guidelines on Heelys Shoes

I am considering giving my son, who is five years old, Heelys shoes. What are the ages that some of your children have been given these? Their website says they come in size 12 and on up, and I'm trying to decide if he's ready. Any advice?

Wow... I can't imagine a child that young being as safety conscious as they should be. Most preteens who have them aren't. If it has WHEELS, they should wear a helmut when riding, using...
I don't know. In general I'm not a fan. Sorry.

My 8 year-old has Heelys so my 4-year-old wanted them too. It was a mistake as he cannot ride them, even though he is an incredibly active and physically adept kid. So we took the wheels out and he just wears the shoes... which is fine.... except it was a difficult couple of weeks when he was mad all the time because he "couldn't" do something. We were told they only start at size 1 - perhaps that has changed in the last 6 months? Let me know how it goes for you because I'm wondering if we should try to reintroduce the wheels again. :)

I'd buy them right after I made sure I had excellent health insurance and that extra stuff that pays more when your kid breaks bones.

I'm sorry, I don't think children should be wearing wheels without pads and helmets.

well you already got a lot of good advice and a few really strange ones , but i'll give you my opinion anyway. i thought the very first time that i saw them that they had to be really bad for your feet! you are standing on a wheel! i am surprized that they are legal for health reasons! and the kids i have seen using them are rude! they are weaving in and out and bumping into people! public in door places are not meant for kid's to be wild. now if you want to restrict them from only using them outdoors, fine! and there is also the issue of obesity! any time we take the caloric burn out of everyday life we are only hurting ourselves! these kids are going to be obese by the time they are in their forty's. i know all the kids have them, but like my mom used to say, if all your friends were jumping off a cliff would you jump too???? i think that common sense is key here!

My son turned 6 this pasted May & he got Heelys for Christmaas and LOVES them ! I have also seen 4 year olds with them on ! my daughter who is 10 also got Heelys !
It is the thing in school ! most children have them !
Have a great day !

R.,
I have to agree with Annette. Heelys are HORRIBLE (or at least the kids who wear them). I guess if he were to only wear them to play in like at the park or some big open area they would be fine, but I was in a department store the other day and was nearly run over multiple times by the same 5 children with their heelys. The youngest looked to be about 6 on up to maybe 15 or 16. Sadly the older one was the WORST! She even nearly knocked over a display full of breakables and laughed about how she didn't know how to stop. Also, if you have ever watched kids walk in those...OH MY! I bet in a few years doctors are going to be treating a lot of mis-shaped feet from kids walking with that wheel under their heel. I would definately reconsider. But it is of course your decision.

You might try going to www.todayshow.com I saw a whole segment on their show about how dangerous those shoes are! Good Luck!!

I have to agree with some of the others...they are awful! Why are we taking a basic form of exercise away from kids to let them glide around with less effort? My son has asked for these too, he's only 4 1/2 and we won't be getting them. It seems to me that the kids who do have them are rude and inconsiderate with they way they cut in and out of people and run into people/things.
Just felt the need to voice my opinion. Sorry.

I dont suggest you buy these for any children. The Podiatrists are puting out research papers on how badly these shoes effect the children's legs and feet and back because of the unnatural movements.

1 / 3