Age for Bumbo Seat????

I was wondering about the appropriate age/development stage that the Bumbo Seat is good for? My family has been mentioning getting one for my 4 month old, but I thought I heard that it isn't wise to use the seat if the baby can not sit up on their own....meaning that the seat should not be supporting them in a way that their body can not naturally support itself. Any thoughts? My son is very large and already 17 pounds. He can support his head/neck but can't sit up on his own....

Thanks to everyone for the reccommendations on the Bumbo seat. Although I feel he is the right age and can hold his head well, based on the advise I don't think I will buy one since he is so large and has especially large thighs. I might borrow one and use it for the little time that we may have left fitting into it :-) Thanks moms!

This was by far the worst baby accessory I received... my son never looked comfortable in it at all, it seemed he went from far to small to way to big for it overnight. I tried it a few times and packed it up to be sold on E bay.

Mi son loved this seat we bought it when he was 5 months old, it's very conveniente but I think you should do some additional research because I heard the seats are being recalled because of the risk of the child tipping over.

My daughter was 3 months when she got her Bumbo chair and sat in it a few times a week for about 3-4 weeks until she could support herself a little better, and of course I was always right next to her. But I honestly felt that it helped her to gain the strength to actually support herself... and she loved it! We, too, used it as a feeding chair until her legs were too chubby. Wish we could've used it longer!

My son in 5 months and has been using his Bumbo for about 2 months now. He LOVES it! I have actually heard just the opposite....that it's great for them to use before they can sit on their own because it helps to develop those muscles.

We reaaly love it and totally recommend it! As soon as they can hold thier head up it's ideal! Although it's only good for a few months it was well worth it--our daughter seemed so much happier able to sit up. And, if it's on the floor, they can play by themselves! We used the tray that snaps on ($10) for toys. And, even used it for a feeding chair while out at friends' (attended at all times b/c it could tip). Her legs did get too chubby for it aroung 6 months so we use a Fisher-Price booster seat for a portable "highchair".

My daughter is two now, and we inherited a bumbo seat from her older cousin. We used it with her when she was about four months old. I read up on it and it said she could use it as soon as she could hold her head up. We loved it because it got her out of her baby carrier and supported her when we fed her at friends' houses that didn't have a high chair. She liked it because it gave her more "freedom." We've since bought it for friends that are expecting and highly recommend it. We plan on using ours for #2 due in December!

That is actually a great age for a Bumbo seat! They are awesome. As long as the baby can hold their head up just fine, then it is great to use. I know there have been some warnings about them. But to me they are pretty common sense things, like don't leave your baby in a Bumbo seat up on a table, they can fall out, etc. Anyway, my kids have loved them, and it is a great way to put the baby down and they can sit up and watch you. Congratulations on your new baby!

If your son can support his neck, he can use the Bumbo. My son had one from 3 months until 6 months when he started sitting on his own. It has actually been proven that it can help with building the muscles needed to sit. I would still use it for going out to eat if his legs were not so chubby LOL

Get it you will LOVE it!

4 mo iss great if they are beginning to show signs of sitting up w/ just a little bit of support-that's about the time we started our daughter in hers and it was great for a couple of monthes then she physically outgrew the seat about 6 1/2-7 monthes.(she is in the 90% for height and weight)....very cute but not a super long-use item........good luck! L.

1 / 3