Age Appropriate TV Shows on Direct TV for 6 Years Old

Hi Moms,

I have a 6 years old daughter who has become a big fan of iCarly show on Nick and does not wants to miss any episode. We have a Direct TV package where we get 2 of the Disney channels and 2 of the Nick channels for kids. She is not interested in any Dora or Mickey Mouse shows anymore so she started watching iCarly and SpongeBob on Nick and got hooked to these. I still feel that these are not the right shows for her age group, but again on these channels I don't see any other program that would be interesting for her.

Can someone please tell if you have kids in the same age group, what all TV shows do you allow them to watch, we're ready to change our package if we know what channel to ask for.

Please help, I've started seeing some change in her behaviour since she started watching iCarly. I would like to switch to something more age appropriate as early as possible.

Thanks in advance!

P.

Hi, those Disney shows are defin. for older kids, I would say 10 and up. I would recommend "Wordgirl" and "Electric Company" on PBS. They are for kids her age and are also educational. Directv started rating shows now by age in the info section. I would also google "best shows for kids" and they usually divide it by age groups.

This is not the answer your looking, but we don't have a TV, VCR, DVD, etc. in our home at all. They can look at books, play computer games, play with toys, or play outside. I grew up without a TV and it never hurt me. My mom grew up without a TV till she was in her teens. And of course my Grandparents didn't have a TV till they had been married for years and years. My advice, I'm sure you won't take it, is to unplug the TV and get rid of it, all of them. They waste time, affect your childs attention spam and teach your child things that you don't want them to know. You would not allow someone to commit adultery in your living room in front of your kids, but it happens in an instant on your TV and they have already seen it before you can cover their eyes and turn off the TV. I believe that TV is why our nation is going downhill with violence, horrible crimes, etc. I don't want my kids to have that kind of influence. Besides kids movies have subliminal messages hidden in them. Try playing a kids movie such as "The Lion King", my sister hears in monotone. When she watched the movie, she heard "Sex in the Sand" over and over during one of the seens. Her friend with her could not hear it, but it was there. Another friend was told that a movie had a subliminal message in the smoke or dust of a seen. She played in in slow motion and was able to read the message. This was also a kids movie, but I don't remember which one. I think my kids are to precious to expose to the horrible things they would see and learn on TV. No TV in our house!!!! My kids have never had one, my parents don't have one, my in laws don't have one, my sister and sister-in-law don't have one. My kids don't even know they are missing anything.

I think "iCarly" and "Spongebob" are 2 of the worst shows on tv, my children were not allowed to watch them when they were younger. You may want to check out www.commonsensemedia.org.

I don't even let my almost 9 yr old watch i carly and spongebob. I HATE spongebob its one of the worst " kids shows" on tv.
My kids watch Nick Jr , sprout, and playhouse disney.
As far as shows , Ni hao Kai lan, Olivia, Toot and Puddle, Phenas and Ferb, Wizards of waverly place, Suite life on deck, Star Wars Clone Wars, Jacks Big Music Show, Maggie and the ferocious beast, 3-2-1 Penguins, Babar, Jane and the Dragon, Curious George, Dinosaur Train, to name a few.

I agree with you 100% about iCarly. I've also run into the same issue with our 5 1/2 yr old twins. My 9 yr old loves the Discovery Kids channel (channel 294 for us). There are still some shows I refuse to let her watch, but there's also things like Bindi the Jungle Girl, The Saddle Club, etc. She knows that she's not allowed to watch certain things and she also knows that if I catch her watching them and have to block them with the parental controls, she's lost all television viewing. Hope this is something that works for your family!

my 3 year old watches iCarly with us and we havent seen any weird behavior changes.

When we let ours watch cartoons, we watch Boomerang and Cartoon Network. Mine are still young enough to engage in Sprout and PBS shows, but we LOVE the retro Scooby Doo, Looney Tunes, Yogi Bear, etc. Phineas and Ferb are great! Dinosaur Train and Word Girl on PBS are too.

My twins are 9 and I just let them watch iCarly in the last year. Do you know you can "block" certain rated shows? I don't know what iCarly is rated but I would think it's different then some of the other shows and then just tell her she can't watch it anymore. She may get mad for awhile, but oh well, she'll get over it.

1 / 3