Advise on a Baby Monitor.

My niece is entering her second trimester and is wanting a video monitor for the baby. I was just wandering if anyone has any advise on these? I have heard they are not very good, but wanted input from people who have had one. Thanks for the input.

I have the Graco iMonitor that vibrates. I love it! Its a clear sound, great distances and L.-lasting battery. As much as I love it, I kind of wish I had gone with the Angel Care monitor. Its more expensive but the sensor for the baby breathing would have given me more peace of mind, especially when my son began rolling onto his tummy to sleep at 5 mos.

We have the Safety 1st HD Video monitor and it works great! It was pricey at about $250 but well work it for us. We like the fact that the camera is easy to move around, the night vision works great, it has an AC adapter or you can use rechargeable batteries. I highly recommend this one. My husband really did his research and used the website babygizmo.com to read reviews. We get no interference despite having WiFi and tons of electronic equipment. Hope this helps.

The Summer handheld monitor is great. I don't know if they all come with night vision, but this one does. I can't imagine not having a monitor. It is worth the investment. Whenever our daughter is in her crib (she is only 5 months so she is only in her room to sleep at this point) I have it on me. Last week I had it attached to my waist band while I was cleaning the bathroom and it fell in the toilet, it still works how it should. I would buy it all over again if I had to. We purchased it at Target. Good luck.

I highly recommend a baby monitor. I rec'd a video baby monitor as a gift during my first pregnancy. At first, I thought it was overkill. It turned out to be one of the best gifts I received. As an infant, my daughter was slow to wake up. She'd grunt, moan and twitch off and on for a good 20 minutes before actually waking up. The video screen allowed us to see from our bed when she was actually awake. That saved us from getting up unnecessarily every time we heard a grunt or moan. We turned the audio all the way down because it was static-ky and she was just on the other side of a thin wall that we could hear through anyway.

Later as she was old enough to play on her own, I could put the camera in the living room and wash dishes next door in the kitchen while still keeping an eye on her through the monitor.

My son broke the receiver, so I can no longer use it. I was looking forward to keeping an eye on him and my daughter playing together. If it weren't such an extravagance, I'd buy one just for that purpose.

I have video monitor-I believe the brand is summer and it works pretty well. The monitor does receive interference when someone is on our cordless phone but that's not really a problem. Usually the video reception is pretty good-for some reason there are some days when the video reception is not so great-the screen will jump or there will be this clicking noise but to me this is a small inconvenience. I really like being able to not only hear what my daughter is doing but to see what she is doing as well. We got the monitor as a baby shower gift but I believe it cost around $100.

We have the Summer handheld and we love it!

I don't have a video monitor, so I can't help you out there, but I do have a monitor that has given me reassurance that my son is safe in his crib, which resulted in me getting a better night's sleep.

I'm assuming your niece is looking into video monitors for the same reassurance...

The monitor I have is called "AngelCare" and it's made by BeBe Sounds. You can pick one up at Target.com with 2 hand sets for just $130.00.

This is a regular audio monitor that also has a movement sensor. The sensor pad is placed under the crib mattress. If baby doesn't move (and when I say "move" I really mean "breath" because the sensor is that sensitive) for 15 seconds, an alarm goes off. Nothing loud...just a steady tone that lets Mommy know that she needs to go check on baby.

When my son was about 2 weeks old he had to go into the hospital for a few days for periodic breathing (he'd stop breathing for about 5-7 seconds at a time, and he'd do it over and over again). The hospital sent us home with a heart monitor that had leads attached to a band that we had to keep straped around his chest. That blasted machine went off ALL THE TIME because he'd move and a lead would slip out of place...and this was a very LOUD alarm, so I'd end up shooting out of bed several times a night. I got so aggravated that I started searching online for any other options...that's when I found the AngelCare monitor and it was a saving grace!

I used this monitor for over two years with my son and it only sounded the alarm one time...when he learned to roll over and snuggled himself up against one of the corners and the sensor couldn't detect him. And we never had an issue with static interference like we did with our other monitor.

I have raved about this monitor to anyone that will listen! I highly recommend your niece checks it out. While video monitors are great for WATCHING baby, they still don't ensure that a sleeping baby is a breathing baby.

We purchased one from Sharper Image when our youngest was born (he is now almost 5). It was great! We still have it and it still works! We only use it when his health issues are flaring. But they are great to see if you really need to get up in the middle of the night, or if your baby is just making noise in their sleep. We had just the audio one with my oldest and I was always getting up because he "talked" in his sleep! Choose wise and do research. Invest in a good one.

1 / 3