Advise on 7 Year Old Coughing at Night

HI everyone,
I need some advice. My son goes to bed about 8pm. At some point almost every night (sometimes at midnight , sometimes 3am) he starts coughing….and coughing…and coughing. I will go check on him and have him get a drink of water, which does not help much, and then I will put some Vicks on his chest and tuck him back in. This is the only thing that has seemed to help with the coughing. He does not have a cold and I do run a humidifier in his room at night. Has anyone had this happen? And what can I do to help him so he doesn’t start coughing in the first place? Or to stop the coughing after it has begun? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

I give my daughter's a sippy cup with lemon and honey water. The honey coats their throat so they stop coughing. You could put his in a sports bottle.

He could have allergies and/or asthma. You should take him to his doctor and they might refer you to see an allergist.

My 10 year old daughter used to cough every night for about a year and a half. We went and got a full allergy work up. She does have some allergies, so after covering the bed and pillow with dust mite covers and taking Singulair every day, she hasn't coughed since.

Could it not be respiratory at all? Maybe it's reflux. I'd let your doctor know and have him checked out.

I am think allergies as well. My 7 yr old has allergies that have caused asthma. Check the humidifier, sometimes they tend to form mold in them, and he could be allergic to dust/mold. Check with the doctor, and possible get some allergy testing done.

The coughing could be related to cough variant asthma (especially if he also coughs after running around/playing) or acid reflux. If he has acid reflux, elevating the head of his bed might help some. You could try putting wooden blocks under the legs of his bed... Either way, it is probably a good idea to make an appointment with his peds for further evaluation.

I agree it could be allergies, however, it could also be post nasal drip (whether from cold or allergies). Has this just started now or has it always happened? That is one way to try to figure it out. Also, does he lay totally flat in bed? This could cause the post nasal drip to build up and then middle of the night the coughing starts. My son had this problem for 3 months after he had a very stuffed and runny nose. We got him extra pillows to lay against and the problem went away within a week or so. Now whenever he gets stuffy, he takes everyone's pillows. Has your son had a cold within the past month or so before the coughing started?

If he doesn't have a cold, I wouldn't use Vicks. In fact, I am personally allergic to the stuff. What has changed in his room? I probably would not run a humidifier in his room and just keep his room temperature cool. You could be adding some mold in his room. We turn down our heat to 65 but it doesn't have to be that cool. Drinking water is good. Trying to prop him up for a few nights may give you some idea if it is post-nasal drip and may help with the coughing. Yes it could be allergies in his room.

Has he ever been diagnosed with Asthma or has he had some bouts of bronchitis? Sometimes the only symptom of Asthma is night time coughing. I have asthma & allergies and it is under control. Definitely a cooler, dry room with a good amount of (easily washable) blankets at night helps me.

1 / 3