Advise... My 12 Month Old Has Cough and Runny Nose

Hi, my 12 month old just started coughing, sneezing and has a runny nose. From what I understand I can only give him infant tylenol or infant motrin. I am running a humidifier when he sleeps. Is there anything I can do to help him feel better?

He just got over the flu one month ago and I took him to the doctor then. He had two ear infections from the build up of mucus so they gave him Amoxicillan and a cough supressant. He broke out in such a nasty rash of hives five days later from the antibiotic. I am a little reluctant to rush back to the doctor now.

I just now used a bulb to suck mucus out and got a lump of yellow mucus. He now was able to drink his morning bottle and his nose seems to be draining.

If the cough gets worse don't be afraid to go to the doctor. My daughter was allergic to Amoxicillan as well so the doctor just prescribes something without penicillin in it. I wouldn't wait if he just had two ear infections especially since you say he has mucus build up again. You can use saline drops they really help to thin out the mucus. Also I used to elevate the crib mattress by putting a foam wedge or blanket under it. It will help him to breathe easier. Good luck I hope he feels better soon.

Tylenol should only be given if he has a fever. If no fever the tylenol wil do nothing for him, he probably just has a cold and there is nothing anyone can do. Just comfort him the best you can, keep him cozy and relaxed, try to keep his nose clear the best you can. Give him his favorite foods, and chicken soup.

Get some Vicks VapoRub to put on your wee one. Before getting him dressed for bed after a nice warm bath, put a little on his chest, a good amount on his back, and coat the bottoms of his feet with it as well. Then put socks on his feet to sleep in too. He will sleep great! There is now a 'Baby Vicks' with a lovely lavender scent, but the original Vicks is great too. I hope he is feeling better very soon.
Blessings,

hi - My 13 month old just went through the same thing. I avoided the Tylenol since he never ran a fever. Instead, plenty of liquids, humidifier and time. (I also had a big pot of hot water with eucalyptus simmering the whole day.)

Hi E.,

Have you taken him to the doctor. This pass week my son had to same problem, which caused an ear infection. However, he was given an antibiotic. And for his coughing, sneezing and runny nose the doctor had given him this awesome cold medicine. She said it was way better then the over the counter stuff. He did really well on it. I do not have it on me but I will try and get the name of the cough syrup. :)

I use saline drops to loosen stuff up and then the bulb to suck it out. Also, at night I use a rub called "little colds" from babies r us... it's just like vicks vapor rub.

However, if the mucus turns dark yellow or green, i would take him back to the dr. They can try another anti-biotic if he was allergic to the amox.

Our doctor lets us give our son (12 months also) 1/2 tsp. of Benadryl at night only. During the day he can also have Motrin which actually works better than Tylenol in my opinion. You should also put saline drops in his nose and then use your aspirator as you seem to have already done to suck out the boogies.

Otherwise, lots of liquids and give him whatever he will eat without a fight. Lots of rest. It seems that everything has to run its course.

/

Take him into the bathroom while you shower and let the steam help clear his nose. Use saline drops in his nose (not spray - he is too young for spray, it will irritate his mucus membranes). Wipe his nose with cloth instead of kleenex so you don't irritate the skin. Only give tylenol or motrin if he develops a high fever or seems extremely miserable. Suction his nose only twice a day, as more often will irritate his mucus membranes and produce more snot.

Many people claim the "milk builds mucus" issue is actually a myth. In my experience it only builds mucus if your son is allergic to milk (in which case he wouldn't be drinking it anyway).

A cold in a baby this age will last 10 days. If he develops a fever or if the cold lasts more than 10 days, take him to the doctor to make sure he doesn't have an ear infection or upper respiratory infection. I hope he feels better soon.

Definitely use a humidifier and saline spray for the nose frequently. They don't ususally like it but it really helps. I have twin boys a little older and they are now very use to getting their nose sprayed. Just watch after a week or so. One of mine developed an ear infection due to all the fluid build up. If you notice fever or ear pulling, check in with the DR. Mine had colds for 10-12 days. Of course in my case one just passes it back to the other. Tylenol is not needed unless their is pain or a fever. But an infant that age can also get infant motrin when it is needed.

1 / 3