Advice on Teaching Baby to Roll

I have a 4 month old little girl (she'll be 5 months on Nov 8th). She knows how to roll over from her back to her stomach (she only rolls to her left). Once she's on her stomach, she gets very upset because she can't figure out how to roll back. This week, she's started screaming really loud when she gets frustrated from this. I wanted to know how I can teach her to roll over from her stomach to her back. Also, any advice on how to teach her to roll to her right, instead of always to her left?

Emily is starting to enjoy Tummy Time more now, not so much screaming & fussing. She's starting to learn how to turn her hips/legs to get off the mat, but hasn't quite turned her top half to get off her tummy totally. It's more like she turns on her side, but her arms/head are still on the mat.

I know that feeling well, it helps to take a toy she really likes show it to her then gently move it the direction you want her to roll, she will try to scoot instead of roll toward it, but after some practice and helping her along, move her over gently along with the toy, she will realize how this is accomplished, good luck :D

Sounds like she is on the right track! You can encourage your baby through play. If you notice her rolling over, see if she'll try again by wiggling a toy next to the side she customarily rolls to. Or lie down next to her on one side — just out of reach — and see if she'll roll to get closer to you.

She will start to define her muscles in her chest and neck while she is on her stomach and these are the key to having her roll the other way. She'll get mad but try to distract her with toys she can push up on her arms to look at.

Let me just say babies will learn on their own but I don't think it hurts to help them out in the right ways. My son was born 11 weeks early and I spent the largest part of his first year trying to get him to do things earlier than he wanted so he could "catch up". I had a Physical Therapist come to my house every month to help me and teach me what to do to help him. My son also only rolled one way. What rolling over does is straighten out the hip muscles, from the flexed position in utero to get them ready to walk. So they need to go both ways. Try putting her toys or anything that interests her on the side she doesn't go to. She will get it. As far as tummy time, my son hated it too. The PT rolled a blanket up and put it under his chest, or use your boppy pillow depending on how big your daughter is. My sons frustration stemmed from not being about to see what was going on, he is still very nosey. With the little lift he was much happier on his belly and stayed there much much longer. I hope this helps some. Most importantly don't stress too much and let the little things you do to help her work. She will get it.

Tuck her arm under her body that will give her less resistance. You can also help her by having her push aginst your hand and pushing back causeing her to roll. D othis once or twise then incourage her to do it on her own. Don't worry some babies get flustered and need to cry. How do you fell when you want something and keep trying and trying but don't get it???? Want to cry scream so does she, so she does it.

I agree with Sarah. something she wants to grab, she'll try for. Both my kids were butter balls(you would never know it now!) so I gave them a little help at first and then they got it. I think Sarah is right, once she gets the idea of how to roll she will try doing it the other way.

My son only rolled one way and what we did was hold a toy that he loved infornt of him and move it to the side that we wanted him to roll - he would follow it with his head and then try to pull his body too. What I can tell you is that in time he just did it on his own. As long as she is rolling any direction she is right on track so don't worry!!!

Anglea,

I have a nearly 10 month old. He did the same thing. Your girl will learn in time. My son always went one way for the longest. But then one day he went the other way. And the screaming about is a good thing. That helped my son roll over, he had to get really mad and then he rolled over with a load aaaaaahhhhhhhhh! After that he had a look of fulfillment that he had rolled over! It was soo funny!

Sounds like she's on track. Keep in mind too that babies don't always go by the book. My neice completely skipped the crawling stage (she could get around in her own ways and walk along the side of things, like the couch) and went straight to walking. But I'm sure your baby will catch the hang of rolling just as soon as she's ready and able :)

1 / 3