Advice on Siblings fighting....a Lot!

I have a 7, 6, 3, & 10 1/2 month old. All girls. The older three argue & fight a lot. All with each other. Do any of you know of any good activities or exercises that can help them to respect each other more & be more caring toward each other? I have read some stuff online already...through parenting websites...and I was just wondering if those of you that have already dealt with this know of any tricks that bring more harmony to my home! This is making for a long summer.

I just saw another request from April from another mom about this... I read all the advice on hers...Then I remembered something I read a while back: I am going to sit them down and have them tell each other positive things about each other..and also to say to each other things that make them upset like that. In other words..instead of them screaming at each other, I will make them sit down and tell the other one why she is upset and then they can take turns doing this until they are ok for that moment & are speaking in a calm and problem-solving conversation. I will let you know how it turns out.

o.k... I know this is a little after-the-fact, but I did read "Siblings Without Rivalry"
I recommend this book to any parent with 2 or more children. Not only can it help you with your own parenting, it helps you understand what happened with you as a child & understand why things may have happened the way they did. I am working on my relationships with my girls & hopefully it will strengthen theirs & grow a respect between them and a certain "sisterhood." I do know that arguing is normal for families.

I don't know what will solve your problem, but I know what the problem is. Pay attention to the 3 older girls, when two are playing together, do they argue as badly? Is there more arguing when all 3 are involved? I have never seen 3 children get along without squabbles. Whether it is boys, girls, or a mixture. Odd numbers of children, seems to force one to feel left out or something. Three seems to make for more competition or conflict or something. When the baby gets old enough to play with the 3 year old, things should smooth out some. Having all girls may always prove to be trying.

B. M

I don't have any advice..I need some myself so I am replying so I can see what others have to say. I don't know why this forum is set up so you can only read it if you are going to reply to it.

Airing their differences may help some. Try to get some time alone with each of them or 2 and 2. I agree that "3s" usually cause problems...friends, siblings, co-workers, whatever. Maybe you and your husband can split them up once in a while and they will have more time to appreciate each other if they have that one on one time with just one sibling.

God bless you with all of those girls! Better you than me!

Steph

1 / 3