Advice on Keeping Birds Away from Pool

Hi Moms... I was wondering if anyone had any advice about keeping birds away from pools. Birds have taken over our backyard and there is bird poo everywhere. You can't walk around the pool without stepping in it and I'm tired of washing off the patio and furniture every day. Even when we're out there swimming, the birds come swooping down and sit on the rocks until we shoo them away or splash them. We have an owl, but they usually just use him as a perch and poop on him too. Please help! Thanks!

www.tanglefoot.com has a few bird-repellant items for pidgeons and sparrows that are non-toxic.

T

Here are a few websites that specialize in bird control ;)

http://www.absolutebirdcontrol.com/

http://www.birdbusters.com/

http://www.nixalite.com/

Google Search: "bird deterent"

Best,

Unfortunatly I dont have any suggestions about keeping the birds away, as I have the same problem, but I was reading all the requests and it sounds like some of them really work, I may have to try them too. Good luck getting rid of them.

I do want to say thank you to your husband and your family for him helping to protect our country. God Bless you all, and good luck while he is away!!!!

The most eco-friendly way to keep birds away is shiny tin foil strips that glitter in the sun. That is what all our neighbors do when they plant new grass and don't want the birds to eat it all. You can use Xmas tinsel or something like that and tie it on your furniture. You only leave it up a little while (maybe a month) and then they know not to come in your yard. Make sure to say thanks to your hubby from me and my family. Take care and good luck.

I've heard hanging CDs works

And I wanted to say thank you to you and your family for your husband's service to our country :)

Hi M.!

We use large plastic owls(about 14 inches tall)from WalMart that we fill with rocks and duct tape shut to weigh them down. We use three in the pool area(one on a tall wall and two on opposite sides of the jacuzzi) and one in a large tree the birds like where they mess up our patio in addition to the pool area. We make sure to move them around slightly because we've been told if we didn't, the birds realize they are fake and start ignoring them! I have found this to be true. We also string together old shiny CD discs and hang them in the big tree. The sun's reflection startles them away. The AZ/Sonora Desert Museum uses these in some trees. Good luck!

Hi M., birds don't like shiny things hanging in trees. I know someone who hangs old CD's from trees to keep birds away. They also make sprial shiny long porch ornaments to hang and these serve as a deterent as well. Is your pool the only water source around? If so they may be really thirsty. You must have created a really inviting place for birds to hang out. Try to make it less inviting with flashy irridescent things that move around in the wind. This scares them. Good luck to you and your family during your husbands deployment. L.

My employer didnt like the rabbits that were pooping all over their patio, so they got two cats. The rabbits stay out of the backyard now. I wonder if cats wouldnt help keep the birds away?

I clean pools professionally and most of them with natural rocks or waterfall features or negative edges draw the birds. You could try putting a bird bath and feeder in the yard to attract them away from the pool but birds are difficult to control with the situation you have. You could try getting a dog or cat that goes out into the yard regularly - we have several dogs at our house (and a pool and bird feeders) and the dogs are constantly chasing the birds away - it's fun for them and gives them exercise. Plus feeding the dogs a raw food diet has nearly eliminated their piles of waste so having to pick that up isn't a problem either. Good luck.

1 / 3