Advice on How to Fix Snag on Sweater Jacket

I recently bought a cute sweater jacket for my 2.5 y/o son but noticed a small snag on it. The sweater jacket is the type that has cotton lining inside. Does anyone know how I could fix that? Thanks.

As a professional seamstress for years... the post below is exactly what we do!! :) We use a small crochet hook and pull it trough.... then to even the knit out a bit we gently tug up and down the side to side on the knit to stretch the snag back in a bit... It just takes patients and a gentle touch to get it done :)

Best of luck!

You can still fix it with a fine crochet hook. Go through the area adjacent to the snag and then up by the snag and pull the snag to the inside.

Go to a fabric store and buy a little tool to fix it. It looks like a seam ripper, however it has a hook and a latch much like latch hook rug tool (incase you ever did one of those). Usually you go from the back side out to the front, hooking the hook on the snag and pull it to the back. Instead you will have to go from the front a little ways away from the snag and come out next to the snag. Hook the snag and pull it thru. Hopefully you will be able to unlatch the hook and get the snag off. If not, pull the snag thru the first hole just enough to unlatch the hook and take the snag off. E-mail me back if this doesn't work and I will try to help you.

I'm no expert, so if my advice is too appalling then maybe it will at least spur someone more knowledgable to post better advice! But here's what I always did and it worked well enough.

I took a small crochet hook - it had been my mom's from her doily-making days - and I slipped it into the knitting near to the snag. I worked the hook up next to the snag, grabbed the 'snagged bit', and then pulled it through to the back side of the knitted material. I then worked my hook carefully back through and removed it, being sure that I left the 'snagged bit' inside between the knitted material and the lining.

I had to be careful of two things:

*That I didn't pull the 'snagged bit' too far along once I was through to the back side -- thus messing up the knit even more.

*That I didn't create a new snag by bringing the hook out of the material too carelessly.

I hid a lot of snags this way, though I'm essentially useless in the mending department. If it's a very long snag, I'd tie a knot in the yarn before pulling it through. Once I also took a needle and thread and tightened up the snagged area a bit after pulling the snag through, just to close the gap.

Hope this helps? :-)

I grew up next door to a professional tailor (one who did work for celebrities). He taught me to thread a larger size needle with a thin yarn. Take several stitches in the "fabric" beginning an inch or so away from the snag. Then, when right at the snag point, wrap the threaded needle through the snagged yarn and put he needle down into the 'snag hole'. It seems to work for me. Also works really well with polyester or other man made fabrics (men's suit material, etc.). Good luck! Oh, and the crochet hook thing works too, just depends on the size of the sweater's weave.

1 / 3