Advice on Hand Foot and Mouth Virus

My 1 year old baby has hand foot and mouth virus. I feel so bad because he cant eat or drink anything. When he does try to eat or drink he just screams and spits it out. However, I have had a little luck with applesauce. He is also losing weight because he wont hardly eat. I didn't know if any of you moms out there had kids that have had that before. If you did, was there any kind of anything that helps relieve their pain? I feel bad because my baby's ONLY comfort is sucking his thumb and he can't even do that. So we haven't got much sleep latley. I just don't know what to do, I feel so helpless. I wish it was me instead of him. Just please if you have any little kind of advice, I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

nothing really you can do until it runs its course. Motrin and tylenol and a bunch of snuggles. Do popsicles and cold stuff so he doesnt get dehydrated. Both of my kids have had this and they were miserable. We were on the rocking chair a lot just getting them as comfy as possible.

Mix equal parts liquid maalox and liquid benadryl. Use a q-tip to apply it to the inside of his mouth. This should numb it. You can repeat several times a day. Good luck!

My son has been through this also and it is not fun! Not much you can do though. Try to just keep him hydrated and give him tylenol for the pain. The soars in his mouth shouldn't last more than a few days and then he will start to feel better. Good luck, I know you feel bad but he will be ok, and just keep giving him fluids.

My daughter and my husband got it at the same time. (Don't ask me how he got it. The doc was just as confused). They both got some nifty drops at the pharmacy that numbed their mouths so they could eat. Im not sure what it was (it was about 2 years ago) but whatever it was, it helped LOTS! Talk to the doctor, ask for something for the pain. They don't usually hand that out unless you beg for it. At least her new pediatrician doesn't.

when I was a nanny the kids I was watching got it and the doctor prescribed them these suckers... i dont know if it was to cure it or numb it but you could ask your doc about it! good luck and i hope your baby feels better soon!

ice water and milk or formula.. helps.. if you get it or someone older.. you can rinse with peroxide.. but not the baby.. it usually last for about 4 to 5 days.. sometimes less... if it's still bothering him after that.. call the dr. good luck

My 5, 3 & 1 1/2 yr old all just went thru this.. There's not much you can do :( my 5 & 3 yr old tolerated it well & my 1.5 yr old well same as yours. He sucks his fingers would wake up @ nite.. the only thing was tylenol to ease the pain. I did flavored popcicles to cool his throat.. but you have to force liquids down!!!! I dont care that it may sting!! it's better then seeing them hooked to an IV b/c the #1 thing is they will get dehydrated w/ this virus if you dont force them to drink!!! So every 15 minutes I would force a syringe of water, propel, anything down my kids throat b/c the fever was insane!! But the good news was it only lasted for a few days so they go back to normal. I wouldnt worry about the weight loss they'll catch back up. If you're really concerned call maybe your peds doctor for more suggestions. Good Luck :)

1 / 3