Advice on Cleaning Stuffed Animal That Says "Surface Clean Only"

My toddler boy has taken to a poo bear... drags it all around the house now, in his crib, etc. it says "surface clean only." There MUST be some other way to clean this thing! any recommendations?

Hi N.,

I use antibacterical wipes on those types of toys. I wipe it down and then let it air dry. Usually works like a charm.

As long as it is a stuffed animal, without electronics, you can wash it in the washer or by hand in the sink. If it has short fur it can be dried on low or medium heat. If it has longer fur then it will need to be air dried with no heat, otherwise the fur will melt and no longer be soft.

Hi N.,

Unless the toys have a battery pack than needs to be removed, you can put them in a pillow case or lingerie bag and wash on a gentle cycle. The spin cycle will all but dry the toys, then I just set them out to air dry. If it's a fuzzy toy, you can stick it in a low heat set dryer for a bit to fluff the fibers, otherwise, just let it sit out and air dry. Works like a charm!

My son also has a Poo Bear, and carried EVERYWHERE! Someone told me that you can put it into a pillowcase and throw it into the wash with everything else and then keep it in the pillowcase and dry it. I figured if this was going to be his comfort buddy, it was going to get worn and look loved so what would it hurt to try. It worked great! I do use an extra rinse cycle to make sure all the soap is out of the stuffing. He is 11 now and still has his Poo Bear!

Oh, c'mon, do people actually follow those tags? I throw everything in the washer and dryer. The ones that have really long plush fur end up with sort of brillo-like curly fur but at least they are not all the same brownish gray color anymore! Also, the plastic eyes get a little bit banged up in the dryer, but only noticeably after 15-20 washes or so. And I always dry them in the dryer because they may feel dry on the outside, but think of all of the multiplying bacteria inside that you can't see if there is a little bit of moisture left in there -ewwww!

Hi N.,

Our daughter has a couple of favorites. I no longer even read the tags, because if I can't wash it, she isn't going to have it for long. I always figured the toys would fall apart if you threw them in the washer, so I've used a lingerie bag (same thing I throw her socks in so we don't lose 'em). I wash all of her stuff, including Dog and Frog, on gentle and I dry everything on low. Works just fine. But, with the lingerie bag, if something ever does fall apart, most of the pieces and fluff will be contained.

Throw it in the wash. We love Pooh here too, so we have 2. That way we can wash one and have one.

My mom says for the ones that are dusty to just throw them in the dryer for a few. But, it sounds like yours is a little dirtier than those just sitting on a shelf. You could try washing it and maybe buy a backup in case it gets ruined.

1 / 3