Advice on Changing My Ob Gyn Mid Pregnancy

I am wondering if anyone has experience or thoughts on changing a OB gyn mid pregnancy. I am twenty weeks pregnant with my first child and as you can imagaine this is all new to me. I like my OB but every time I see her I really feel that the appointment is rushed and that makes me nervous because I think that is when mistakes happen. Don't get me wrong she is kind and answers my questions, but I feel that I have gotten considerably more information from my" What to Expect" book than from her. For example, I would have not known that in the fourth month of pregnacy that I couldn't sleep on my back any longer had it not been for the book. This week she was in such a hurry that she booked my ultrasound for the wrong month. ( I had no way of knowing that this was wrong. To me, I don't know the difference between week 20 and week 24.) Has anyone changed a doctor mid pregnancy? What should I consider? Any recommendations for a doctor at Northwestern who is female and taking new patients?

Any help you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated!

I don't know if she is taking new patients but I love my OB. She has been with me through two pregnancies (one vaginal and the other c-section) and she was wonderful through both...kind, patient and informative. She is part of an all woman's practice and I liked the other doctors that I saw in the practice. Her name is Dr. Dayne Salasche with Obstetric & Gyn Specialists and the phone number is ###-###-####.

I agree that you should speak up about how you feel. I go to a practice of all females that delivers at Northwestern, but they are large and I don't know how you feel about that.
Unfortunatly I think a lot of practices out there are busy and they don't give patients the time they deserve.
Let me know if you want my docs name.

In my experience, doctors do tend to focus less on all the details that you can get in the "What to Expect" book. Maybe they're busy, maybe they assume you're reading it and know, maybe they don't think it's as big of a deal. I had an OB appointment yesterday and the doctor almost walked out of the room before she realized I wasn't done asking questions. As for the books and everything, I think there is way too much information available to us and given to us unsolicited that we feel like our doctors should be giving us just as much when we see them for appointments. This is my second pregnancy and with that new perspective, I realize now that so many things I worried about the first time aren't as big of a deal. But I do not mean to minimize how you're feeling - by all means, you deserve a doctor who makes you feel comfortable and secure, and who you feel is "with it". 20 weeks isn't too late to switch doctors, so if that's what would make you feel better I think it's the right thing to do. And when you're looking for a doctor, explain what you don't like about your current doctor's style and ask if the new doctor has a different, more informative attitude. Good luck with your search and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

If you are not comfortable with your doctor, they by all means try to change. Especially if you explain your feelings to the new doctor, I'm sure she'll understand.

I wanted a female doctor, too. The one I got I did not like at all! In the end I switched to a male doctor, and he is wonderful. I'm so glad I switched to a doctor I could trust and who took time with me and explained everything. I would take gender off the table at this point and try to find a doctor who you can really talk to and who will be sympathetic to your current situation to switch.

I think it is very important for you to speak up about how you feel. Tell your doctor exactly what you said in your post- that you are getting more info from a book than from her. Tell her that you feel rushed at your appointments and that you have been thinking of switching practices. As an ob/gyne nurse who works in an office setting, I can tell you that this will not only get her attention but make her more attentive to your needs. If it doesn't, then it really is time to switch.

Women switch offices all the time - its really no big deal and there is always someone out there who will take on your care. Just make sure to get your records before leaving your current office so that you can bring them with you to your first appointment - this is VERY important!!! The docs I work for deliver out of ENH, but if you are interested in switching hospitals let me know and I can give you some more info on our place.

Best of luck!! And congratulations!!

I agree with a lot of the advice given here. Trust your gut - it is not too late to switch. My sister-in-law switched from a doctor to midwives in her last month of pregnancy because the doctor was threatening to do a C-section because she had a larg baby. She ended up delivering the baby completely naturally.

I myself switched from Northwestern to the midwives at North Shore Ob/Gyn (Debi Lesnick and Gaye) for my first pregnancy - and it was wonderful.

For my second - I delivered with the midwives at West Suburban (Gayle Riedmann and company) because I wanted to use the Alternative Birthing Center - and it was a wonderful experience as well.

Do consider switching to midwives - as others have said - they provide more hands-on attention - and they will be with you throughout labor as opposed to a doctor. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Have you considered midwives. When I went through my first pregnancy, I felt really uncomfortable with the doctors because at my hospital I seemed to get a different one every time. When I found out I was a low risk pregnancy I switched to midwives and it was the best decision I could have made. I had a lot more say in the delivery room and with keeping my daughter with me instead of them taking her after she was born. I opted for a drugfree birth, but they are all nurses so if drugs is your thing they can do that to, and you would be delivering in the hospital, so that if anything went wrong the doctor is just a whistle away. The wait for the visits is minimal, and my midwives were mothers too so they gave me advice and treated me like a person and not a patient. It was so great i went to them when I became pregnant with my second child. If you need any help, please feel free to email me.

1st off - if you are following "what to expect when you are expecting" as the bible and comparing it to what the obgyn has to say- of course you will be nervous. What to expect is extreme. It's like the nazi of everything you should/ should not be doing in a pregnancy- kind of like how mom's used to follow Dr Spock's advise word for word. FYI: I am in my 3rd trimester of 2nd pregnancy- and guess what? I sleep on my back or my sides (I just miss sleeping on my tummy).

No matter who you go to- you need to go prepared with questions. If you follow your book- ask her or another doc or the midwives about the advise it is giving you or questions that it may bring up. Write down questions ahead of time so that you can remember to go through them.

My first pregnancy was with midwives, second pregnancy with the doctor.

I had Dr. Chen who delivered my daughter at Northwestern. She is with the NMPG group at 680 N. Lakeshore Dr. I don't know if I would change doctors, but next time-so in with a list of things you want to ask, if she is too busy to answer your questions, then I would leave. Especially for first time mothers, you want someone to reassume you and make you feel comfortable. I felt extremely comfortable with the group that Dr Chen is with. I saw Dr Garvey, Dr Chen as well as some others there too. Unless you are going to a small OB practice, the doctor you are seeing may not be the doctor that delivers your baby.

I did a seminar on pregnancy, health, fitness and nutrition and discussed patient's rights out there. Based on that seminar, someone approached me about changing mid-pregnancy b/c she felt like she was not happy with how her doctor handled answering her questions. She ended up leaving NMH OB office and went to Evanston midwife group and was so happy she made the change, even though she had to travel from the city, it was worth it to her. I saw a midwife, and I got either a 30-min or 60-min of her undivided attention appt. I really liked it b/c she really got to know me and my husband. It was a great experience for me and can't imagine the average 8-min appt you get in an OB office. Here is your first experience on where you have to trust your mommy instincts, one of many to come! You should always interview your doctors so you feel good about your decision. Good luck.

1 / 3