Advice on Caring for a Toddler with a Long Leg Cast

Hi there...I was wondering if anyone out there has had a toddler with a long leg cast..?? My 18 month old son has a "toddler's" fracture from his leg twisting while going down a slide. He is quite frustrated with the cast, and needless to say it breaks my heart. I also am nervous about how in the world I am going to give him a sponge bath....on towels on the counter??!! If anyone has had to deal with this, I will take any advice or any helpful hints with any aspect of this!!!
Thank you!!

When my son had a cast on we used a big sleeve that slips on over the cast and you pump all of the air out of it so that it suctions to the cast They sell them in different sizes worked AWESOME and my son was very happy he could take a shower! He could also swim with it on Well worth it!!

Here's something similiar to what we used:
http://www.medcareproducts.com/castcovers/prodinfo.asp?nu...

Actually this is quite easy yet frustrating at the same time. make sure to use cornstarch near the cast as the smell can get quite bad. Sponge baths are easiest at this age. I have a 17 yo who has been serial casted several times over the years due to left hemiplegia. The largest problem with casting is keeping the child calm and entertained while in the cast. At such a young age, trying to keep him down while you bathe him will probably take both of you and a few toys and probaly a game you only play while its bath time. Remember the leg will be weak when the cast comes off and to take it easy.
T. mom to 3 wonderful children 17 yo daughter, 15 yo son, and 11 yo daughter and married 17years to a military man.

There is a www.drypro.com has an air tight seal for cast covers out family have used these and have not had any problems. the website is a little strange it does not scoll down. we bought ours at Local Pharmacy but not a chain Pharmacy.

Your poor little guy!!!
My little brother had a cast on his leg at 2. It was during the summer time and when ever he would go out when it was wet we would help him put a plastic grocery bag over his leg. Then as he walked along he would hold the handles to keep it up. He did really great about staying out of water... None of us thought about telling him to keep out of sand. There was quite a large pile in the drs office when the cast was removed.
My brothers cast went to his groin and yes, we had to sponge bathe him on the counter... I would suggest putting his leg in a bag and letting him get crazy with a spray bottle... He can spray his hair, belly, etc... Just expect he'll get YOU and your room soaked too...

My son had an arm cast at 18 months (totally different, I know) but my point is that the really did great with it...it only took a little while for him to get used to it. I recently found a product that goes over a casted limb to keep it dry in the shower, but for the life of me I don't know where I saw it. Maybe do a search for it online?

If I think of it, I'll repost.

Also, I felt really bad, too...like every judgmental eye was on me. I let my baby fall out of his crib and didn't even know it was broken for about 36 hours. Don't worry, it's not your fault and it's probably not the last time it will happen!!! ;)

~L.

You can bathe him in the tub just don't put water in it. Lay a folded towel on the bottom to cushion him a little. Use a bowl for water, soap him up and then hold his cast up off the tub and pour the water over him to rinse. If he is head to the drain in the tub then the water will run away from the cast.
Everything may feel awkward the first time but don't worry it gets easier. Good luck!!!
E.

I like the advice about the spray bottle. I think there was a mom here before in the summer that used "cling wrap"? The press-n-seal type. I think she raved that it worked very well and the cast remained dry the entire time (at the water park or beach).

My heart goes out to you! I will be the first to admit that I am overprotective, and when my son does end up getting hurt, I want to cry with him! I wish him a very speedy recovery!

Hi P.

I broke my arm about 2 years ago and I used the plastic bags that newspapers come in just because they were long enough to cover my arm up to the elbow. At the top I wrapped it with electrical tape. It was waterproof, yet not too sticky so it didn't pull when I tok it off. I just wrapped it around my arm a few times to make sure it was completely sealed. Not too tight though.

Of course, I was in a shower, not sitting for a bath, but it might be easy to use a stepstool or child size lawn chair to sit him in the tub and shower him off it you have a detatchable shower head.

1 / 3