Advice on Air Travel with 6 Month Old

Just looking for ideas and tips on air travel with a 6 month old. We are considering a trip to visit my hubbys grandma in Indiana this spring and our baby boy will be around 6 months old. Thanks! :)

Take something to suck on when lifting off or descending. This will help the pop of his ears and the crying will be reduced. Babies can't adjust to climate like us adults, the sucking helps, we learned this after the takeoff unfortunately(lots of crying).

visit the link below. They have great solutions for traveling. Ear plugs for altitude control, car seat bags, etc. Hope this helps.

http://www.onestepahead.com/directory/117/85218/117.html

Everyone elses suggestions are good. Pack light and gate check the stroller (we got a reclining umbrella stroller, so didn't have to take the travel system one...also, the airlines is not responsible for damages). We just took my then 5.5 month old daughter to Cali from Hawaii this past December...it was the long car rides that she wasn't too happy about.
But, depending on whether or not the flight is booked this may or may not work...my husband booked us for the two aisle seats in the middle section of the plane (3 seaters), hoping the middle seat wouldn't get taken and we'd have an extra seat between the two of us for baby. Luckily it worked so we had a pretty comfortable flight both ways with a little extra room at no cost. The crew on Hawaiian were really accommodating too. My daughter got a bit bored (even with all the toys...new and old) but taking her walking down the aisles to look at everyone else made her happy. Good luck. It definitely is an experience.

My husband and I took our son to the Bahamas when he was six months old. We flew from Seattle to Dallas to Ft. Lauderdale to Nassau...it was quite a day! My husband and I had actually got food poisoning and were feeling AWFUL the entire trip down, but our son actually did great! I was expecting the worse, as he had just started crawling and was, like yours, very squirmy. We brought TONS of toys in our carry-on, and I was breastfeeding, so I pretty much just nursed him every time he got fussy! We didn't get a separate seat for him, which I would recommend--not even for a carseat, b/c like a 6-month old wants to sit in a carseat the entire time, but just so you can have the extra room. The airlines will usually sell you a discounted ticket for a baby under 2.
Our pediatrician also recommend trying Benadryl, as it makes some kids sleepy, but I didn't like the idea, so we didn't do it. Good thing, b/c as it turns out, our son gets HYPER on Benadryl (which is very common!). You'll need to talk to your son's dr. about dosage if you decide to try that, of course.
It was also recommended to us to either make sure you were breastfeeding or giving the baby a bottle when you're landing, as it helps the baby's ears pressurize correctly, since they don't know to yawn like adults do.
Good luck! It probably won't be as bad as you think--our son was so fascinated by all the people around, and lots of people would play peek-a-boo over the seats and stuff. People were surprisingly understanding!

I travelled to Indiana this past summer with my son, who was 6 months old at the time. I nursed him during take-off and landing to alleviate any pressure changes in his ears. I sang to him, played with him, and rocked him if he seemed fussy, and at one point we fell asleep together. He did very well, I was surprised. My husband was deployed, so I was travelling by myself, and so if I can do it, anyone can!

We took our 8 month old twins from cali to Maine, the doc told us to give them benedryl to make them sleepy but to try it in advance because in some cases it makes kids hyper... which it did for ours. We ended up taking a red eye, I made sure they were very tired and they slept on our chests for 90% of the 6 hour flight. Be careful of his ears popping, when going up and down have him sucking o something. I was a nervous wreck and it worked out. Mosy of the stress was over nothing.

Hi! Be sure to have your son drinking at take off and landing. The swallowing helps with the change in altitude. Also, bring a couple of toys with you. You can bring one familiar toy for comfort and maybe one new toy to keep him preoccupied. You don't want too many though! Another thing to consider is try to keep your son awake until he gets to the gate. Going through security is hectic and it's rough when you have to wake them up. My daughter is 20 months old and has been on 14 flights! We were lucky enough that she slept on most of them. The plane really lulls them to sleep. Good Luck!

Ah, traveling. We just got back from flying to Alaska to visit my mother in law. My 5 month old was great. I found that feeding the baby right after boarding helped to put her to sleep, we had a lay over in Seattle for a few hours, so I fed her when we got off the first plane and again, right after we boarded. She slept both flights. And the same thing worked coming back. I had warm clothes and cool clothes, dressed her in layers for the different temperatures on the planes, colorful but not too loud rattles, and she was on my lap going and coming back. I hope this helps!

My son was 8 months old for his first flight...the trip there went off without a hitch...he looked out the window, ate a little potato salad, and was generally happy. Coming back, though, we got stuck at the airport and he didn't have a nap, so he was cranky and unhappy...so if at all possible, make sure he gets some sleep before he gets on the plane. A rested baby is a happy baby!

1 / 3