Advice About Sore Breasts After Weaning

I am hoping that some of you may have advice about remaining as comfortable as possible when weaning your child. My daughter just turned two and I decided that it was right and timely to wean her. She has been breast fed 1-2 times a day (with a few exceptions of more often when she has been sick) for about a year. We started talking about it about a week before she turned two and she seems to be doing okay. Anyway, I do not want to break down, which I have done in the past, but it is HURTING. Do any of you have any suggestions about relieving the pressure in my breasts without creating more milk? I also would really like to avoid any infection. I would also love some insight into how long this lasts. I think that if I prepare myself I can ride it out. It does make it difficult to distract myself from this transition :) Thank you.

I second the cabbage leave suggestion. Also, take motrin for pain. I also wore a tight running bra to protect them. It takes a good week and then they start to soften up. I'm prone to mastitis so my child's Pediatrician actually prescribed me antibiotics before I weaned my last to avoid it. Mastitis is no fun! Good luck!

When weaning my first, I would express a bit of milk in the shower - just enough to relieve the discomfort. Cold compresses really helped, too. I've heard that cool cabbage leaves in your bra can help, but haven't tried that one myself. I remember most of the discomfort being over pretty quickly, but it taking quite a while for milk production to stop completely (a month or so).

Purple cabbage leaves are amazing! I put them in my bra and it helps so much, it does dry them up, if that is what you are wanting! Hope this helps!

I know this is a little late, and I haven't weaned yet, but when I talked to my doctor about it, this was her advice. Since 24 hours may be too much, start by reducing the AMOUNT of time she nurses when she does. So if it takes her 5 minutes on one breast, stop her at 4 minutes. This is so your body will slowly get used to producing x amount. She also said that there are women who have to nurse for literally a minute before they can completely stop.

I've heard that taking certain herbs help the milk to dry up. I think it was sage that my friend used but I'm not sure. There probably is a tea that you can drink. You could ask at a health food store or section in a grocery store.

I used heat - heating pads, warm towels and showering. I would also massage the places that were sore, especially in the shower while they had the warm water on them. Sometimes a little milk would come out but it sure felt better and after maybe 2 weeks I felt much better. Good luck - you will feel better soon!

When my first child weaned himself, I thought I would burst- but only my high producing right breast. It was hard as a rock and hurt a lot. I think it had been about a week or so since he had last nursed. I just could not look at my pump ever again (or so I thought) so I nursed him one night after he was asleep. He emptied my breast and that was the end of it. For me it just took getting that last milk out of there- I had stopped producing. Just reading your note makes me feel your pain. You are a great mother! Good luck.

I weaned my hardly nursing daughter at age 2 and was surprised by how much milk was still being made. I put cabbage leaves in a tight fitting bra. Change the leaf out every hour or so. (No one will notice they are in there.) Be sure to frequently massage any hard (and, yes painful) spots to keep the ducts clear. This is good to do in a hot shower or bath. You should see relief within a week or so.

1 / 3