Adult Teeth Coming in Behind Baby Teeth

I'm hoping some other Moms might have some experience with this before I call the dentist on Monday. My 6 yr old hasn't lost any teeth yet, but we just noticed tonight that she has an adult tooth on the bottom coming in behind her baby teeth instead of pushing them up and out of the way. The baby teeth aren't loose at all. I've been looking at websites and some say the baby teeth should be pulled ASAP, some say wait it out. Has anyone had this happen and did the baby teeth come out by themselves? Thanks for any info!

My oldest daughter had the same problem when she was also 6. I waited quite some time and her baby teeth never got loose. I took her to the dentist and had them pulled. I don't know if we would have waited longer if they would have come out on their own, but even waiting as long as we did caused her front teeth to be crooked. I've actually had to have a lot of her teeth pulled because for some reason they don't come in where they are supposed to so the baby ones don't get loose by themselves. Good luck! Hope the this helps a little.

K. H.

My son's tooth did that too, and I took him to the dentist, it was his 6 month check up anyways, and they werent worried at all about it. All his teeth so far, he has lost 4, has the adult already coming in and it hasnt been bothering him at all. Good Luck!

I too have had the same thing. It happened to me when I was about 12 or so and I had to have the tooth pulled.
Also it happened to my son. I don't remember how old he was when it happened, but as the previous person said the same thing happened with my son, one came out on its own and the other had to be pulled. It really isn't as bad as it sounds/seems. My son was nervous about it and he knew that's what he was going in for and he said it didn't hurt. They give novacaine and wait till it sets in before they pull it. My son has had to have about 3 baby teeth pulled total (the other 2 were because he wasn't brushing like he should).
Also, I can say from my own experience, it isn't as bad as it seems and sometimes it just happens and a tooth needs some help coming out. I was WAY more nervous about than warranted. It was easy and painless.

Hope that helps!
Hugs K.

That same thing happened to our middle daughter who is now 12, we took her to the dentist and he had to pull out around 6-8 of her baby teeth so that the adult teeth could come in straight. In fact just about a month ago, she had the same thing happen again, but thankfully didn't have to go to the dentist this time, the adult tooth pushed it out really fast. Hope this helps and good luck.

I'm a hygienist and our office usually has the baby tooth pulled (especially if it's not loose) to help alleviate crowding. There's not a lot of root structure on baby teeth so it's not as bad as what everyone thinks it can be. I would call her dentist and definitely have him take a look at it.

R.

I also have a 6-year-old, and in May we noticed that she had two adult teeth behind her bottom front baby teeth. Coincidentally, she had a dentist appointment that same month. The baby teeth were slightly loose--the dentist indicated that she was just fine. As the adult teeth pushed up, the baby teeth became looser, and in late June she finally lost one of them. (Much rejoicing when the tooth fairy showed up!) In late August she still hadn't lost the other tooth, so we took her back to the dentist, who pulled it. He told us that eventually she would have lost it on her own--with no long-term effects--but we asked him to pull it. (A more expensive tooth fairy visit, when you figure in the co-pay and later bill!) :) I wouldn't worry about it. I'd just make sure you keep your scheduled dentist visits and see what happens. Good luck!

K. H.

My 6 yr old had this problem earlier this year. I have good and bad news. One tooth did become loose and come out, the other had to be pulled. Our dentist was willing to wait it out awhile to see what would happen. The one that had to be pulled became quite loose, but apparantly still had a touch of root left so it was stuck in there. We had tried several times to pull it, but it just wouldn't come out. I was able to call the dentist and talk over the phone about the situation saving a trip in until it was obvious the one tooth wasn't coming out. Hope this helps! Good luck and get ready for the tooth fairy :-)

Hello A.
I had the same problem with my son. He was around 5 and still hadn't lost any teeth yet. His adult teeth were coming in and I was freaking out because I didn't know what to do. About a week or so after I saw them coming in his baby teeth started to get loose and came out on their own. It might be different with your situation though. I would suggest that you call a dentist and ask their opinion because they might be able to help you better. I hope this helps you a little bit.

1 / 3