Adult Getting Tonsils Out. Recovery Time?

My BIL is getting his tonsils removed on the 18th. He thinks he will be back to work on Monday (the 18th is Thursday) we all think he is crazy but none of us have been through this. How many of you have had yours removed as an adult and how long was your recovery?

I had mine out at 16... My junior prom was 2 weeks later and I barely made it.. Hope he has a quick recovery!!

I had mine out at 18 also....hate to tell you this, but it was rough.

I had a terribly sore throat for at least a month...lots of popsicles.

It does get better, but you have to eat and it does hurt. The frozen stuff helps.

I had mine out at 23. My doc told me , 2 week recovery. He said I would need someone to help me take care of my child, that whole 2 weeks. I was fine. I was able to do all my normal things.

Did my throat hurt? --- Yes! Horribly. I couldn't eat for 2 weeks & lost a ton of weight but I could've worked.

10 days guaranteed. You feel great the first day until the drugs from surgery wear off. You have to keep up with your pain meds and keep drinking water . The water is the key . When your throat gets dry it hurts . The scabs dont fall off until day 10 (gross but true). If he goes back to work too early it will screw up his medical leave time if he has to go out again.He will be so crabby the last day (day 9). The day after he will be about 80%. Tell him to just take his 10 days. Really .

My child wasn't even back to school that quickly. I've heard it much worse for adults...he may want to play it by ear a bit and give himself a bit of leeway to return (if that's possible w his work)

I had my tonsils out as an adult, and it took 10 days for my throat to feel better (to be able to talk at all without feeling like coughing).

I had my tonsils removed when I was in my mid 30's. I was told it is more painful and a longer recovery for adults. That was an understatement. I was home and in bed around the clock and did not feel somewhat better until day 8. The nurse at the hospital told me to set my alarm clock so I can take my pain meds every four hours. I thought that was comical. I had two children, so tonsils can't be that bad. I only slept through the pain meds once. I would have cried, but it was too painful. Not only does your throat hurt, your ears and head hurt as well. You must have a cool mist humidifier in the room where you sleep. I had to sleep in an almost sitting position, or it felt like I couldn't breathe. It was much worse than any other surgery. It takes so long to recover and I think that is why it is so miserable. I lived on canned chicken noodle soup with crackers. I let it cool and turn to mush so I could get it down. The pain meds can make you ill if you don't have something in your stomach. I found an ice collar that came home with me was a life saver. Good luck.

I had mine out when I was about 20. I cant remember reall well, but the recovery wat AT LEAST a week. My throat hurt sooo bad! I think he needs to take a little more time off work!

1 / 3