Adult Church Service for 6 Year Old

Our church is going to limit nursery care to children 5 and under during adult church service. I am concerned that some of the topics that are brought up in the adult sermon would be disturbing to my 6 year old son. At what age is a child mature enough to handle adult sermons?

Could you suggest having a children's church service at the same time. I've visited several churches and they've all had either child care or a children's church for school age kids. Often the kids are in the main sanctuary for the singing but leave before the sermon.

I understand wanting to limit the age in the nursery. However, they could make a divide in age without sending the kids into the main sanctuary.

I won't let my 9 year old at "Big Church" because our pastor does talk about marriage/sex/etc sometimes and while she knows about sex, I think her time is best spent learning kid stuff. If your church isn't going to allow the kids anywhere else, I'd be sure that the messages that your son hears are going to be age appropriate.
And, I never learned much at adult service until I was 12-13. It was just boring until then.

We always take our children with us and have never had any issues. I feel that making your children be quite for an hour is good for them. Ours even pick things up every now and then.

I wouldn't think he would pay too much attention unless your pastor is a real dramatic yeller. I would allow him to read, maybe a children's bible story book or something so that he would be even less inclined to pay attention.

I"m in the minority in my church but i think kids should stay through the service and learn the routine of it, not necessarily to hear the sermons, but to learn how to act. at that age they should be able to sit for 20 minutes.

I grew up in adult church listening to sermons and the ministers knew kids were there and preached appropriately. I had no problems and I actually grew more in that enviroment versus the children only environment these days where most of what they hear are "elementary" stuff or entertainment and cookies. You will get a chance to teach your son how to behave during services as well. All the best.

My two older children are 4 and 5 and they attend service with us.

We always bring our children with us to church and we have never had any issues.

Our church has always limited nursery care to children 6 months to the day they turn 4. I have never heard in topics brought up in the adult sermons that would be disturbing to my children of any age. We do occasionally have special services where the men and women and children are all separated. This is when we would have more specific topics that might not be a good idea for children to hear. We also have marriage retreats for couples that the children are not welcome for couple topics. I sure your pastor will think about the children being present before bringing up a disturbing topic.

1 / 3