Adoption Party Gift or No Gift?

I have an adoption party in two weeks. One of my girlfriends from high school has adopted 2 kids that are brother and sister, 1 yr and 4 yr. Do I get a gift or not? And if so whats a good gift to give? Thanks!!

FYI she already had a shower for both kids?

Bring a gift. :) It's a major celebration. How about a gift card? Or, a saving's bond for the child(ren).

As an adoptive mom, I think presents would be very much appreciated. Just think of it as a baby shower for big kids! Anything that you might get for a baby shower gift would be great, I think (clothing, toys, bedding, etc).

Maybe since the holidays are coming and it should be family related how about a "family" christmas ornament or stockings with their names on them. Some of the malls of course already have the carts in the center. It might not mean much to them now, but later it will. Mom and Dad would probably love it too.

I would definitely get gifts! Hmmm, lemme think about what my child liked at 1...BOOKS! Lots of books and then they can both share. I recommend half price books, get more for your money.

Toys usually get out of control at that age so I would avoid toys altogether but this is a different situation, so maybe you could ask your friend?

Why wouldn't you give a gift? These are her children and she definitely will appreciate a gift.

I would get something that would be special and sentimental for each child and then get something for the parents that would be something useful them as new parents.

What are the ages of the children? Can you call your friend and find out what they like abd what she might need? Go from there. Enjoy the party and take a few pictures. Your gifrs can be welcome to the family gifts. The other S.

Hi H., if it were me, I'd get them a gift. Go to Hallmark, they have all kinds of sentimental gifts. Maybe a baby book, they can start for the 1 year old. Maybe an ornament for both, that's engraved. There's another place that's escaped me for the moment, but it has alot of nice gifts that can be engraved. Oh, Things Remembered. A nice book for them both, signed by you. A nice photo album. I'm sure they'll appreciate anything. Hope this helps

I would think it would be appropriate to bring a gift just find out what she might need and go from there.

Yes, I think it would be appropriate to bring a gift. I always try to give something for the child and something the parents can use, like a toy and then maybe an outfit. Gift cards are always nice as well, particularly if you don't know what they already have or need.

Well I don't know whether or not you should. But I know I was adopted and they had a shower party I was about 1 yr old.
As far as a gift it probably depends on the age of the children and if you know they need anything. If not I would suggest maybe a gift card. Even my 3 yr old loves it when I tell her Grandma sent her a gift card/money and we cna go shopping. The kids have gotten Target and Toysrus gift cards and we always find something.

How wonderful! We adopted our daughter at birth. Brouht her home at 4 days old. A gift is great. Maybe a learning toy for each one or how about a gift card for a toy store and they can pick their own. We were given a savings bond for our daughter at our adoption party. She is 24 now and ir has really grown in value.Most of all welome the little ones with big open arms and love. Adoption is no different than having a hild your-self. You would'nt believe the love in it. The adoption creed is. "Not flesh of my flesh,
nor bone of my bone, but stil miraculously my own. Never forget for a minute, You were'nt born under my heart , but in it."

Of course, take a gift and maybe a freezer meal too!

Yes, I would treat it like a baby shower, only with more age appropriate gifts.

I would think a gift or gifts would be appropriate, like a baby shower. As for the type of gift, that will vary with the age of the kids.

Maybe a gift cert. for a scrapbook or great creative memory book, something they can turn around and make a keepsake with. More for the family than the kiddos. :)

Since she already had a shower for both kids then I am assuming this is their coming home party? I would probably take a small gift to the kids just as a welcome home type gift but that's just me. Perhaps a gift card so that they could go shopping together as a new family or a game/Puuzzle that they could all share. I have a close friend who just adopted 3 siblings and they needed all the help they could get-it's such a transition to become a ready made family, just try to put yourself in their shoes and go with your gut feelings. HTH