ADHD Testing

My friend's nephew is showing signs of ADHD and their family doctor does not do testing, does anyone know of a good place to have diagnostic testing done other than at a preschool screening?

We had my son tested at Alexian Brothers in Hoffman Estates. Dr. Cesar Ochoa is the doctors name. He is specialized in childhood issues like ADHD. More specifically he is a pediatric developmental behavioral health pediatrician. He's great! Good luck.
866-ALEXIAN

For my son I searched around and found a good kids psychiatrist and they did all the testing there. I suggest you find someone who specializes in that field to do that kind of testing.

Hello J.,
We do ADHD evaluations and counseling. The counselor that works in my practice that specializes in this is Kathy Biel, LCPC. She is on my website: www.ginaspielman.com

Let me know if you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment.

Thank you,
G. Spielman, LCSW, C.H.
Counseling Offices in Naperville & Oswego, IL
###-###-####

866-ALEXIAN

Neuro Psych Institute in Palos,or Dr. Bob Egel at Christ,

how old is this child? there is no real screening for adhd? a nuerologist can help but if this child is younger than 2nd or third grade then it is too early to diagnose. young children have many of the same attributes as adhd.

You need to contact a pyschiatrist or Ph.d. for the most accurate testing available. We went to Learning Diagnostics in Chicago (Dr. Cherie Laaperi). Dr. Laaperi and her associates did 3 half-day testing sessions with our child and provided us with a very comprehensive report (which determined our son was ADHD). Like many parents, we did not want our son medicated and tried behavior modification and some diet changes. When my son started the next school year, his behavior was 10x worse than the previous year when he was diagnosed. So, we went to a pyschiatrist for medication. The medicine has proven to be the best treatment. He's happier, his teacher is happy and we're happy. By the way, all along, everyone recommended medication, but we were the ones not willing to try it.

The family doctor should be able to refer them to an educational psychologist. Both my boys were tested for dyslexia by a psychologist. Best wishes for your nephew.

I was just at my son's pediatrician and asked the same thing, but for ADD. He said (and my mom, an elementary school teacher concurred) that preschool is too young to get an accurate diagnosis on something like this. That sort of behavior still falls under the realm of typical for preschoolers. He said to wait until 6 or 7 years old for an actual diagnosis.

You don't say how old the nephew is but most doctors won't do the testing until a child is at least 6. They can monitor but wont' do all the tests until then. We see Doctor Blair. My son is 13 now and has been with him since he started 1st grade. Parents can tell way before a family doctor can because they start getting notes home that say things like "very active" "hard to keep on task" etc. In my case it was that he could not keep on one thing is this child easily distracted? is he in school yet? why does she think this? If its that he is 2 and doesn't want to sit still that is not really adhd but if he is 6 and can't listen and follow directions then their is a problem. If your in the aurora area dr. blair is adhd only. they also have a program at mercy center hospital. good luck

1 / 3