Adhd - Glenpool,OK

Hello ladies, its seems as though everything this week keeps adding up for me. I have another question. My son is 7 years old and has ADHD and every year of school the teachers are so quick to put him on medication instead of dealing with what is going on. I have went as far as to put him in IEP classes to help him with his school work and routine because with ADHD routine is not a good word. This year instead of them putting him back in his IEP classes they just call me up and tell me I might want to think about putting my child on medication. I informed his teacher that he has been on meds and I didnt like the reaction so we changed the diet instead and it has worked well so far. School is another story I cant control what happens there and she has to, but it seems to me teachers now days dont want to. No offense to anyone but just my experience these days. As mothers should we teach our children how to take a pill when it gets rough or should we teach them how to handle life as it comes and how to deal with it. I personally think that all the disorders people come up with now days are just an excuse to take a pill and act the way they do. If anyone could give me some info on how I should handle this it would be appriciated. Thanks.

HI C., I agree that as a society, we are too quick to administer medicine. I think the teacher-student ratio is way off. As far as how to deal with the issue, basically, the school is responisble for the child when he is there, so you might to abide by their rules. You might go to school board, and ask for to be put back in IEP classes. The better informed they are, the better chance you have of getting him back into IEP classes. Good Luck

If each year a teacher tells you that he is having difficulties at school, then he is. It may help to think of what is fair to him? And I'm sure you have his total well-being in mind. But fair compared to his non-ADHD peers, who will likely bypass him academically and maybe socially just because his brain is wired a little different.

The medication issue for kids is tough, but you may consider that you could improve his quality of life. Granted, the label ADHD gets thrown out there way too much. But true ADHD is a medical problem, just as diabetic, high blood pressure, etc. Find the right child psychiatrist who is willing to work with you to find the right medication and the right dosage - BEFORE he gets to middle school and/or high school. Its also easier for a child to learn how to modify their behavior, once they are on the medication.

Your son is so lucky to have such a great advocate!

Hi. Mom of four. son 9 daughter 6,2, 2months. I am a stay at home mom who is homeschooling for the first time this year. I would recommend this for your situation also. They tried saying the same things about my son, which is so untrue and all they do now days is medicate children so that it is easier for THEM! Let God be with you,

#1 - The school cannot ignore his needs just because you don't medicate him. They are still legally required to evaluate him for special services he might require. I am just learning my way through the IEP maze, but I have figured out that much. One source to learn about the process is wrightslaw.com

#2 - My younger son has bipolar and adhd. We homeschooled for 5 years - this is the first year my kids are in public school. After we found the right med to get his mood swings and rages from the bipolar under control, they wanted me to try him on a stimulant. I was scared, because I knew it could induce mania, but we tried. He was 7 years old, doing 2nd grade level math, but kindergarten level reading and struggling with that, and had been diagnosed with dyslexia earlier in the school year. The very day he started the stimulant, he could READ. This wasn't a matter of calming him down or controlling his behavior - this was a matter of correcting the misconnect in his brain so that the words stopped jumping all over the page.

Remember - this child was homeschooled, had one-on-one tutoring from a loving parent, and still needed that help. He wasn't getting lost in a busy classroom with not enough attention from the teacher. And that was not enough to fix the problem. He still needed that med. He was so happy that day that he could read, and he realized it was the medication, and he realized he was not dumb, and it was just the spark he needed to get excited about learning.

#3 I know someone else already suggested this, but homeschooling may be just the option you need. You will be assured that he is getting one-on-one tutoring, and you can control his environment to make it easier for him to learn. It is a wonderful experience.

#4 Not all teachers are like that. I was very hesitant about using the public schools, but everyone I have dealt with has been absolutely fantastic. They have gone out of their way to help him, and to communicate with me, and to keep things consistent between home and school. They truly are partners with me in educating my son.

Having a special needs child is challenging. I wish you peace with whatever decision you make.

I can see both sides to the story but will tell you that ADHD is very certainly a chemical dysfunction and the right medication can truly make all the difference in your child. Think of when your mind is racing at night and you can't fall asleep. ADHD kiddos are like that all the time and cannot focus on anything, which can be very frustrating. I, too, am opposed to unnecessarily medicating kiddos. But if they need it, they need it. He will be happier and more well adjusted and you will feel great about that. Good luck in making your decision, I know it is truly hard as a parent to decide to medicate or not. Don't forget to schedule regular appointments with your pediatrician so that the medications can be closely monitored for effectiveness.

I really don't have much experience with ADHD but my husband is your child as is his father...I don't know if you are interested but another form of help is natural remedies. My father in law has started taking Omega 3 Fatty acids and they have helped him tremedously. He is able to focus more at work and has suggested that my husband try it. You can buy it at any health food store. Its just a thought. My husband was on medications when he was younger but as a young adult decided not to take them on his own. He looks as ADHD as a benefit they only thing is he had to teach himself how to to use it as a benefit. Good luck

Hi C.! I totally agree with your concerns and I am a mom that always explores other options. I am also a chiropractic student...but I'm not going to try to convince you to see a chiropractor. I just wanted to provide you with the following links about ADHD and let you decide what would help for you. I truly wish the best for you and your sons.
www.erinelster.com/Articles/add_articles_main.html

hi ,i also have a son who is 8 that was on medication because his teachers didnt want to deal with him ,well now he is on herbal medication called focus and brightspark and is doing soooo well and is able to actually go to a regular class instead of a special needs program that he was attending ,the makers of these products is native remidies

There are a lot of kids put on medicine today that don't need to be. That being said, if you child truly has ADHD then he truly needs medicine. I teach special ed. and just putting him in a class like mine won't solve problems. He still won't be able to focus on his work. And sometimes the special ed class is more loud and chaotic because you have a whole class of kids that maybe can't stay focused or can't handle noise, etc. if your child is having a hard time focusing that has to be really hard for him. Think how much less stressful it would be if he was on medicine so he could listen to the instructions!

1 / 3