Adding a Middle Name

can anyone tell me if we plan to name the baby after dad but he has no middle name and we add one is the baby still considered a junior?

I think the name has to be exactly the same to be a junior. If you want the child to be a Jr. you can always use a nickname rather than adding a middle name.

From my understanding, technically the names have to be exactly the same to be a "junior." You might want to do a Google search, e.g., via Emily Post and see what you find. It's a British tradition carried over to here. My father is a Junior, and my brother is actually a "III." You don't find many people these days who are even aware of this!

The name has to be exact to be a Junior.

I think the name has to be exactly the same to be considered a junior. In my family the names are exactly the same and therefore have senior, junior, etc. In my husband's family, the middle names are always different, so the senior, junior stuff does not quality. I am far from an expert, but this is what I have heard and seen.

I believe that you should do whatever makes you happy. Being a junior is something that you decide when naming your child. If you want him to be a junior, then so be it!! Congratulations on your new baby boy!!

Technically I don't think so. But I also don't think there are any real "ruls" for naming kids anyway. If you want him to be a Junior then make him a Jr. But I also think that a junior is after daddy. It id not "supposed" to skip generations, but again, who cares. Do what feels right and honorable to you.

No, by adding a middle name your child is not a junior. My husband(decease)did not had a middle name too and my son has one, so his not a junior.

My husband's dad was born a Junior, but didn't care for his dad so declared himself the Senior and named hubby the Junior when he was born. Hasn't caused any trouble so far,

HIH.

I believe a Jr. is when the child has the exact same name as the father. My brother and my dad have the exact same name but he says he is not Jr. because it is not stated in his birth certificate. It doesn't need to be in the certificate from what i believe but when they go to the same doctor or clinic or any other place they are known as jr. and sr. to distinguish the age difference. When I was working that is what we did to be able to know who was the father and who was the son... but its all up to you. It could be questioned. Good luck
Vicky

I'm no expert on names, but from friends I have if you add a middle name or change the middle name then it is not a junior. But I am also of the belief that if you want to add junior then add it. I have a friend who is a senior but instead of the son being junior they just made it second. They said they did that so no one would call the son "Junior." So I guess you can do what you want, no real rules. That of course is only my opin.

I believe they are not legally considered a junior. It is usually the same exact name at the father.

For Jr. Sr., only first and last names have to match, and they have to be father and son.

For II, III, IV, etc., all names have to match precisely... but there can be distance generationally. A son can be named II after a father, grandfather, great grandfather, etc.

Because we don't commonly us middle names, the Jr. & Sr. will naturally attach themselves. After all if you have two Adam Carters, father and son, one is junior and one is senior, regardless of the middle names.

I have always known to be a junior you would have to name your son exactly as his dad's name, with middle name or not. My husband has no middle name so our son has no middle name so that he is a junior.
Hope that helps...

No he wouldn't be a technical Jr but call him anything you want. There was a name in our family that had Sr, Jr, III, and IV as IV was nephew to III. Just don't ever give a child that will come back later to bite you and or the kid in the behind. I always remembered the song "A Boy Named Sue", a pair of twins with the same first name (a really BAD one), and a child who was Otto ....IV who was called "Ryan". Why do people do this to kids? Have fun with your baby, and if you want to call him Junior, go right ahead.

My brother is a Junior. He & my father have different middle names. As long as the first & last names are the same your son can be a Junior. As a matter of fact, a lot of Juniors I know have different middle names than their father. It's totally up to you how you want to name your child.

Contact the local hospital, there is a person on staff whose job is the keeper of records and they are in charge of birth certificates if you are concerned about legality. You can also try County Records. Other wise it is totally your choice about what you name and call the baby.

Good Luck.

Dear E.:

You can nickname any son "Junior" but, technically, unless the names are identical, he isn't a junior. Here is a source for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffix_(name)#Generational_t...

Best wishes,