Activities for Husband / Wife to Do Together

My husband and I have been married for 11 years and have 3 kids 8, 6 and 1. We rarely go out and find it har to connect with each other when we are home (kids around or tired etc..) We need to work on our adult time together so we can work on our relationship and re-connect with each other! I recommended taking a dance class but he hates that. Do you have any other ideas of something we can do together as a couple to spend some quality time together? thanks!

I have been married for 10 years and although we don't get out much without kids we rent movies on weekends and after kids are in bed we watch them together. On weeknights when all is done,homework, kids in bed, lunches done etc.we have working out together.I do tapes and weights and he does weights and helps me.It's hard to fit everything in we both work full time but it really helps to connect. T.

I have a great idea! My husband and I started doing this about 3 years ago and you can rent the equipment. Paintballing. I know it sounds crazy, but my husband suggested we do it and I was kinda like IDK but then we did it and it was awesome. Its great excersise, completely safe, fun, and you get to shoot each other. I bet if you suggest that he would totally go for it. Then maybe you can get him to do dance classes. Its a win win situation. I love paintballing we go about 3 times a year and we have a blast. Try it you two just might fall in love with it. Good luck. The place we go to is in Bridgewater, Paintball heaven.

Ann-Marie

I'm not sure where you live, but in the Bridgewater area there the (http://www.mahayogacenter.com/). They are offering a class in couples massage therapy. Where you learn how to massage each other. You may have similar things available to you in your area. My husband & I have also found other types of classes to take together. It gives us something else to share & discuss other than family issues.

My husband and I play board games. We have a set that are for older kids/adults that keeps our attention and interest. The need for play is central to the human condition at any age. We have found that we bond on a totally different level.

Good luck! Christy Y

My husband and I usually go out to dinner with two other couples and have a good laugh...our ride to and from usually gives us a chance to chat and laugh. Economic times are rough for some and lately we've been taking turns going to one another's homes for a potluck dinner...it's a start and always makes for some interesting conversations. Try looking into doing something he has interest in...who knows you might like it too! I once went to a car show with my hubby...lol..interesting...at least I tried it and it wasn't so bad. Good luck! ;)

Hi M.,I can only answer your pled for help by telling you that my daughter and son-in-law/son and daughter-in-law needs adult time to reconnect with themselves.I offer them a night a month for me to have grandparent spoil time with my grands and tell them to go out and take in a movie,walking in the park,go out on a date,just as they would do when they were dating.JUST make time and ask your own parents to help out.If not a parent then share time with another family and exchange adult time with them and watch their kids as well.Read to one another,answer questions from one another,let your mind take over and just enjoy yourselves.Life it tooo short to let it go by..............Rose M

Check out the book, "1001 Ways to be Romantic" - lots of great ideas!
Hubby and I like to watch Phantom Gourmet together and than plan a date to one of the restaurants that gets a good review.

Schedule regular date nights and don't break them! You can switch off deciding what to do - but make it a rule that the other one has go to along cheerfully. Until you know for sure what you will both enjoy, don't sign up for something long term like a class. My husband and I love to go to movies - we buy discount tickets thru AAA. However, sitting thru a movie isn't really "together time" because you aren't really talking/engaging so try to go to dinner afterwards and enjoy some wine, talk about the movie, etc. Try NOT to talk about the kids or your jobs.

We are big believers in laughter - medical studies show it makes a big difference in people's recovery from illness, avoiding depression, and so on. We've gone to some comedy clubs and just roared with laughter together - it's a great bonding experience! They have them at local hotels sometimes, and the Improv Asylum in the North End is really fun - great restaurants nearby, or just go for dessert to a place with great cannoli. If you're the type to get a little silly, try a karaoke place!

The Entertainment Books offer great coupons and they kind of force you to try new things, which is great. A lot of libraries offer free passes to museums, and often a museum membership qualifies you for free entrance to other museums.

A lot of organizations manage different open space areas which offer free hiking or cross country skiing. Sudbury Valley Trustees and the Audubon Society are 2 that come to mind. I know the weather isn't great right now but it's a way to plan for better days!

If you can afford a weekend away, our favorite romantic place is the Darby Field Inn just outside of North Conway, NH. It's run by a great couple and there are many types of rooms, from the older room filled with antiques to a recently renovated luxury suite with fireplace, sitting room and jacuzzi. There are great views of the mountains,and hiking/XC skiiing trails on the property. The food is aboslutely fantastic - country breakfasts and fabulous dinners, great wine list, really nice staff. There's a big country lviing room & fireplace, plus a small tavern attached. You can have all the privacy in the world, or you can hang out with the other guests. The owners are really good at suggesting things in the area - if you're not a skier (we're not), there are the North Conway outlets, scenic drives (the Kancamagus River is right there), and chairlifts you can just ride for the scenery!

Try to get away now and then so that you are not looking at your watches trying to get back to the kids. You'll relax more and enjoy each other.

Good luck and stick to it!

My husband and I have two kids 8 1/2 and 5 1/2 and we usually put them to bed around 7:30 on Friday nights with a movie and a snack, this way my husband and I get quality time togethor without breaking out budget. We usually will play games, Phase 10 is a great card game or dominoes ($3.00 at your local Ocean State) or we watch a movie. The kids may come out if they need a drink but they are old enough now to know that Fri. night is mommy and daddy time. Good luck

1 / 3