Activities for Active 20 Month Old

i'm looking for something that my 20 month old can do to expell some of her energy. she loves sports but she cant do any sports until shes 3 or older is there any thing she can do

I don't know where you are but the Columbia Association in Columbia MD has some great activities for kids starting with infants (swimming, etc.) and there are some classes for 2 and up. Also the science museum at Baltimore's inner harbor is awesome. It's expensive for a daily admission (for the parents, kids under 3 are free) but if you go and like it consider an annual membership. It costs less than membership at PlayWise and my daughter and I both liked it SO much better.

Some gymnastics club offer "mom and tot" class from 18mo. old.
Swimming is also good option.

Buy little trampoline for exercise is good, too. They are
about 4'long and 6"high. My kids liked it.

most parks and rec will offer gymnastics at that age. Also swim lessons, if you can get into the water with her. The younger child can also do swimming at 6 weeks! It was great fun for my daughter. You dont really need her involved in a "team sport" at this age. Just let her run free at the park, or a big feild with a ball from home! This will make for great sleep!

If money is not too much of an issue, there are baby gyms like the little gym and gymboree. my two year old loves it and comes home and immediately wants a nap. i know for a fact that the little gym has mommy and me classes for as young as 4 months. and don't be alarmed by the name, i have a 6 wk old and he goes with us and i can still participate.

I have 2 very active boys and the best thing we've found for getting out that extra energy is a small exercise trampoline. They love it and jump on it all day long! We also did gymnastic classes when they were too young for sports.

how about tumble tots at the local ymca?

Hi J.. I have a very active 19 month old. I understand your need for activities. We take classes at The Little Gym, which we both love, but they cost quite a bit of money, which never seemd to be just lying around. In addition to that I bought a book called The Toddler's Busy Book by Trish Kuffner. It is filled with tons of activities for 1.5yrs to 3yrs. It has been dificult trying to find activities to keep my daughter busy through the winter, but this book is a wealth of information. I highly recommend it. It contains everything from crafts, water play, and recipes to holiday and birthday activities and music. I love it. Good luck and I hope this helps a little.

Have you thought about joining the YMCA? We are members there and it has been a Godsend for us. I take my 20 month old son there everyday and he gets to play with other kids for an hour and 1/2- we also do play gymnastics and swim lessons there. You get the added benefit of working out and a break:) There are also some other groups, like Family Focus (you can look them up online) that have playgroups based on age where you stay with your child while they play with other kids. The Virginia Living Museum is also a great place to let them run around when it is cold! I understand your need- my son has a ton of energy and we have to do something everyday to burn some of it off! There are a lot of great playgrounds in the area as well- Deer Park, Sandy Bottom and the playground over by Menchville Highschool are some of our favs. Hope it helps:)

Try the Dulles Sportsplex. They have classes for 18 months and up. And there is always Little Gym. Both are very tolerant of having another child with you (since you also have a 1 month old). We go to both of these and have loved them.

Hope that helps!

J., sometimes the local private or public gym will offer classes. I take my 2 year old to the mom and me gymnastics class while my 3.5 year old daughter does the tot class. It works out beautifully!! Look into the gymboree or music classes for tots, I hear they are fun but may cost you some $$$. Good luck.

1 / 3