Activities for a 15 Month Old

I am wondering how little is too little to sign your child up for any recreational activity. For example....dance, any sports, ice skating etc? I'm a first time mom so I'm kinda clueless on this one!

I would suggest finding classes that you can do together. My daughter is 16 months old and I signed up for a mommy and me swim class so we will be in the water together, yet we'll be able to interact with other moms and kids. Have fun!

My daughter is 15 months old and we have looked into signing her up for mom and me gymnastics class and swimming lessons. Both are a little pricey for us right now as we had to cut back so I could stay home with my daughter. But if we could afford it I would do both.

I would be in no hurry to sign her up for anything official. Try the story-times at your local library and other free activities in your area. They are good ways to start her socializing without getting too involved. Let her just play!

Hi N.,

I'd not be in too big a hurry to sign the lass up for dance or ice skating right now. She's probably only been walking a few months at most. When my youngest son was 10 months old, we moved to a house with a garage, and he picked up a Little Tikes hockey stick and played with that. I'm not one for sigining the kids up for anything and everything until they express the desire. I learned this the hard way. I signed my oldest up for soccer and he HATED it with a passion. He ended up quitting then getting involved in band. He's been in band since 5th grade and is now in the 11th grade. My youngest started on the cello in the 5th grade, and this year in the 6th grade has moved on to percussion, as he wasn't happy with the cello.

Until your daughter is old enough to express interest in dance or sports, I'd just let her be a toddler. Mommy & Me activities where you're doing something with her is a great way to get her doing something, and you too. Check out the local pools and see which ones have Mommy and toddler swim lessons. Babies tend to love the water, leastwise, mine did.

At 15 months she is probably open to just about anything, but it makes sense to let her try lots of different things. Kids develop their own interests in time, but they do really enjoy doing something with mom and dad! So it's always a good idea to have them try something that you're interested in. We taught our kids to skate and ski at early ages because we like winter sports, and we wanted to include them in what we did. As she gets older, keep an open mind about trying different activities - sometimes kids surprise you with interest in some sport or activity that never occurred to you. But whatever you do, avoid overloading her with structured activites, especially at such an early age! She needs time to play and read - it'll give her a chance to be creative and self-directed.

Hi N.,

I teach an early chidhood music and movement program called Music Together in Canton, MI. In 1999 I began this program as a parent with my 1 year old daughter Brennan (now 10), and stayed with it through my younger daughter Julia's 4 th year. I took the teacher training with one of the co-founder's in Princeton NJ in 2003, and have been teaching Music Together classes ever since!! In this 45 minute class we dance, sing, and explore safe, developmentally appropriate instruments. These classes are for babies, toddlers, children to age 5 years and their parents or caregivers.
I love this program as a parent and as a teacher!! I offer free classes for families to trial the class. Our Spring session begins April 2nd and runs for 9 weeks until May 31st.
My website is www.HarmonyAndMeKids.com, and you can view a video clip of classes at www.Musictogether.com . Please feel free to contact me with any questions N.!
M. Bila Regan

N.,

It seems you have gotten a lot of great advice. Here's my two-cents:

Parent-Tot swimming classes are great for getting children accostomed to the water in a safe, fun, and loving environment.

Check out tumbling classes. I live in Portland and our community offers these classes for specific ages. You can check your local community as well.

Any type of free-form dance / music class is beneficial for her mental and physical development.

As others have said check out the programs at your local YMCA.

Our daughter is 15 months as well and we signed her up for swimming lessons since she was 8 months. She loved it. We want to start her in gymnastics but they say wait till she is 18 months. She is almost 16 months so only 2 more months and we are going to get her started. I think with dance too they are suppose to be 18 months. We have a friend who teaches kids to play soccer and they are about 15-18 months and up.

A lot of activities like dance don't start til she'd be 3 but you can do things with her at say play groups if there's any near you. There's a place in Saline called My Urban Toddler that has stuff geared for 5 and under. You can also take her to Jungle Java since they have a toddler area. Not sure where you live so cannot give you anymore info than this.

1 / 3