Activities for 12 Month Old

Hi all, just wanted some ideas of what to do with my soon to be 12 month old son. He seems to really enjoy the company of other children. We signed up for a music class with Montgomery County, but that was canceled due to lack of enrollment. I checked Gymboree, but that just seems to be too expensive on a monthly basis. What do you mom do with your 1 year olds. I just fear that he and I both are getting a little bored of playing in the house. Thanks in advance.

How about joining other moms with 12 month olds for playdates .. come join www.northmetrodcmommies.com

I joined a MOMS Club, and am now the president of my chapter. They have playgroups and all sorts of activities planned for kids of all ages, but mostly for the little ones who aren't in school yet. MOMS Club is an international organization- you can go to momsclub.org and see if there is a chapter where you live. Good luck!

Try joining International MOMS club. They are a group of SAHM moms (some work a few hours a week). They have playgroups by age, big playdates with all ages, Mom's night out, reading groups etc.

I suggest taking him to the library for story time, he might want to run around most of the time, but there are other babies there for him to interact with. A little socialization is good for them! Also, the malls have play areas (go online to look at the maps or call the mall office) -- Fair Oaks, Tysons, Dulles Town Center (not sure where you live). I take my little guys (ages 2, 3, 4) to the mall just for an hour to play since it's too cold to go to the park. Plus you can stroller him around afterwards and he'll be worn out from playing!

God bless!

Visits to libraries and museums are always a treat. There's one museum that offers dress up. It's located in Ellicot City, but I can't remember the name right off hand. If you live in Montgomery County, check out the Strathmore Art Center and see if there are free concerts for families. Your baby might enjoy some classical music (sometimes there are children's performances there.) Chuck E Cheese is always empty in the daytime and you can find a few other moms with toddlers there. My Gym, The Little Gym and other similar facilities also offer classes that are reasonably priced. Also, don't neglect retail chains like AC Moore, Borders, Home Depot and Lowes that offer drop-in workshops (check the age requirement at Home Depot and Lowes). Some mom-and-pop stores will offer special classes if you take the initiative and come in with at least five other toddlers. If you have an art studio nearby or craft store that is privately owned, talk to the owner and see if they can do a one-time program. I also loved taking my children to visit Petco and Petsmart. They loved looking at the animals, and we often ran into someone who was bringing a dog to be groomed. Pet owners loved talking about their pet to my children. A visit to the post office, library, and grocery store is an adventure to a 1-year-old, too. Check the local branch of your library and see if they offer storytime sessions for toddlers. Most do. And, if you're really going stir-crazy, have a Mommy-and-Me activity at the house. If you know other moms with children in similar ages, let the babies play together and have tea and cupcakes with the other moms. Economical and fun. Finally, some malls have play zones for children under age 5. It's a great gathering place and helps break up the monotony of the day. Hopefully, these suggestions will get you through March until spring comes and you can go outdoors to the park. Enjoy!

rompnroll in germantown has open gym for $7, plus relatively cheap classes: http://www.rompnroll.com

check with the library for story times and activities. Our mall has free shows on Wednesdays for kids, they are usually musical, magic, that kind of thing. Join a play group with a group of stay at home moms (check to see if there is a MOPS chapter near you {Mother of Pre Schoolers} or FEMALE chapter {Formerly Employed Mothers at Leading Edge - or Loose Ends depending on how you are feeling that day}. We also have kindermusic programs and art programs for 12 months old. Take him to the new butterfly museum in DC or the aquarium in Baltimore (dolphin show and the huge greenhouse on the roof with birds are great for 12 months old). You mentioned Gymboree, we have Tiny Tots here in Annapolis. Check your local gymnastics centers to see if they offer a mommy and me type of class.
What a great age!!!
Have fun!

A few ideas would be:
1. storytime at the local library. Or just going to the library to look at books.
2. check to see if a mall close to you has a train or play area. Those are great espcially when it's too cold or rainy to go outside.
3. some movie theaters have a daytime showing where moms can do with little ones. So it is acceptable and expected that little ones will be there and may not make it the entire movie.

Honestly my geography is awful, so I am not sure where you live in relativity to Westminster Md but I own a childrens rec center with moonbounces in the Town Mall of Westminster and children 18 months and under are free of charge. You would be ale to go in also and play for free. A lot of the Mommies enjoy taking advantage of the free time they get and the opportunity to interact with their child. If this is not too far out of driving range...considering it is free, then you should come check us out sometime. The web address if you are interested is www.thebouncebaout.webs.com Sorry to seem like I'm pitching to you, I generally try not to do that on here, but it seems like a great solution to your problem if your close enough. Have a great day andI hope you find some great things to do.

1 / 3