Acne and Preteen

My 12 year old daughter has hit the age of acne. She has started to break out and I want to jump on it before it causes problems with her skin. She is good about her hygiene. Any advise on what has worked for you???

Thank you to all who responded. We will be looking into all the different options that were provided. Thanks again

I struggled with acne from about 14 on. I am okay now at 32, but for the most part it was always there and BAD!!! The only thing that honestly worked for me was accutane. I would not recommend this unless her acne is really really bad and she is very self conscious about it. It is not a fun drug to deal with by any means, but trust me my mom and I tried everything before we resorted to that. After my 4th time on accutane I started using rubbing alcohol-I saw another woman suggest this also. It will dry it out and it worked for me. Now that I am older I can use any cleaning product. Remember when you first start using a product-sometimes it will get worse in the beginning.

PROACTIVE...the stuff is amazing. it kills the bacteria and exfoliates the dead cells off. it totally cleared mine.

My daughter used Phisoderm liquid cleanser. It helped. She also used stridex pads when it got bad. She is now 25 and has beautiful skin.

Principal Secret used to carry a great product called Blemish Buster. It would clear up pimples very very quickly. I'm not sure how it would work with a severe case of acne, but I would definately give it a try. I just ordered some from the QVC website, and you can often find it on ebay. Good Luck!

Don't wait. Take her to a dermatologist.

RP

Shelley,
We recently had to go the the pediatrician for this for my 15 year old. They said to change the pillow case at least once a week, don't have the hands touching the face, and to use antibacterial soap. They they also prescribed a topical called benzaclyn. So far it has helped a great deal, and she is much less tearful. It was bad enough that she was not even clearing up before the next round of breakouts would start again. I went thru heck with my skin, and finally ended up on acutane in my early 30's,
when it go so severe. I wish that on no one.
W.
Ps. I forgot, they also said to never wash your face in the shower, the water is to hot, and allows the bacteria to get into the pores because it opens them up. She now has to wash her face in the sink with mid temp water, or cooler.

I've heard great things about proactive. Is she using an oil free, fragrance free moisturizer? I know this sounds counterintuitive, but what happens is that dry skin tries to produce more oil. If you can find Complex 15 (drugstore brand though not widely distributed), it is wonderful (was recommended by a dermatologist for my friend back in college). While I'm sure that the main issue here is hormones, I would add to the advice about not touching her face to make sure that the phones she uses are kept very clean and that she try to keep the speaker off her face. My mom pointed this out to my when I was about your daughter's age, and, sure enough, I did have zits around where the phone touched my face near my mouth. Also, make sure she doesn't allow any hair products to touch her face and that she cleansed her face after using shampoo and conditioner, not before. I hope some of this helps!

It's REALLY strong but do a round of accutane if your doc will let her. I had acne from 7th grade until my senior year and it wreaked havoc on my self esteem. I dind't do accutane until I was 17 and wish I would have done it ealrier.
You can try proactive or an antibiotic. Good luck!

Hi S., Just wanted to update you that Glimpse Intuitive Skin Care is now available through XanGo distributors, and we are having great results with acne, spots, and skin discolorations - http://www.my-glimpse.com/ to see results.
I am holding Skin Nutrition Classes at my home in San Jose, or at the client's home, so that women and men (including teenagers)can see what Glimpse can do for them! Feel free to contact me and visit my website: www.findgreenhere.com (Safe Cosmetics Page, Cosmetic Database to check brands/products/ingredients in the products you are using to be sure they are in the safe/nonhazardous range). V. G. :o)

Hi S., my first advice is to break the habit of touching her face. You'd never realize how dirty your hands are and when you touch your face you're shoving all that dirt and oil into your skin. Also, she needs to be consistent about washing and moistuirzing her face. She needs to wash & moisturize her face in the AM & PM - EVERYDAY. In the PM to wash all the dirt, oil, make-up and impurities from the environment off and in the AM to wash any sweat and settled dust off. It's very important that she moisturize each time she washes - there are specific acne formula moisturizer.
For most pre-teens the OTC products like Neutragena work fine. It's probably not necessary to spend the money on Proactive or other pricey treatments at this point. I sell Mary Kay and we have a wonderful acne treatment skin care set called Velocity... a two-step cleanser and moisturizer set that is not only formulated for pre-teen and teenage acne prone skin but also priced for a mom's budget.
Not sure where you are located, if you would like any further info please don't hesitate to ask.
I've done facial parties for all my nieces and my mom's foster care girls for this exact purpose. The one thing I really stress is the touching of the face. It is 2nd only to hormones for the #1 cause of acne in pre-teen & teenage girls.

1 / 3